[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Trying to make room for disability aids - Carers UK Forum

Trying to make room for disability aids

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
My Partner Peter has vascular dementia also because of tia's he has a wheelchair for when we go out.We live in a small one bedroom flat. and now I need to find space for a walking frame and a special armchair so that he can manage easily. I realise that my table altho it folds is still to big for our little area. does anyone know where I can buy a table suitable for diners or studio flats. We rarely get visitors because of our situation,so it needs to be just for two people. I need a nice one that will take his weight when he is leaning on it. I try really hard to get rid of unnecessary clutter. I have looked at different sites on the web but the tables are just to big. Hope one of you dear carers has some ideas for me. THANKS!
from adeliene
I dont know if this is any good but we had something like this for my mam.Meant she could stay in her chair and on really bad days when she was in bed, it could still be used.The picture is just an example not the one we had. Soc services supplied it. If that was any use for him, you can pick cheaper versions up for yourself.They save on space.I know they are not strong but no need as he would not need lean on it.You would place it in front of him when needed and take away when finished.

Thanks Rosemary that is a good idea and I will possible get one of those tables for his bad days when he has the shakes and falling about. but i need a table so we can both sit at, while he can shuffle around I need to encourage him to move. infact he likes a tidy place and his job is washing up only the easy things. I nearly always have to re wash them when he isn't looking. but he feels that he is doing something to help.from adeliene
I nearly always have to re wash them when he isn't looking. but he feels that he is doing something to help.from adeliene
Snap, I had to do same when my mam washed up but no way would I stop her.It did not happen very often but it gave her a sense of achievement.

x x
How about a table that is attached to the wall and folds down when not in use?

You were lucky with your Mums table Rosemary, social services wouldn't supply my Mum with one and it cost me £39.00 to buy one Image Image
Thanks bluebird. I'll keep that in mind. altho we hope to move to a ground floor flat. not sure when the council will find us one.wouldn't want a fixture at this time. so free standing would be better for us .
You were lucky with your Mums table Rosemary, social services wouldn't supply my Mum with one and it cost me £39.00 to buy one Image Image
Soc services supplied on the instruction of our Community Matron.If she said you needed something it was delivered same day if in stock, or next morning if she phoned late afternoon.Was no need to wait for OT's.
Round tables take up less room and are easier to negotiate than square or oblong tables plus they do not have sharp corners if anyone falls. We have a round table in our kitchen and I will be replacing the square dining room table with a round pedestal table, they seat as many people as their square or oblong alternatives, we can easily seat four round the kitchen table which is three foot in radius, they look really nice too Image .
I had a similar problem in my last flat - small dinng tables are quite hard to find !

Have you tried Argos - I found these 3 in the latest catalogue

the last two are called 'butterfly' tables; the chairs fold and are stored inside the table when not in use.
thanks susieq and parsifal. the first argo table looks good and might be suitable i will go to argus and decide. also parsifal yes that is something to think about the round table he couldn't hurt himself . any more ideas dear carers?