[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
The Seven Stages of Alzheimer's - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

The Seven Stages of Alzheimer's

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Thanks for that I think its when she's tired that she gets nasty and spitefull
Does anyone have a problem with nastiness or spitefullness from the person they care for who has dementia? If so how do you deal with it?
Hi Goody

Aggression in the later stages of Alzheimer's is quite common, so far my Mum is only exhibitng frustration and getting angry with me when I try to correct something she's done - like putting a PLASTIC freezer dish full of casserole in the GAS oven instead of the microwave Image Image I only just got it out before before it melted Image Image

Have a look at this link from the Alzheimer's Society -

http://alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/d ... geNumber=1

They also do a very good free publication on coping with someone who has Alzheimer's and they have lots of general information on their website.
Am sorry to be a nuisance here, but can I have clarification that the seven stages ARE related to Alzheimers as an individual illness or does it mean all dementias , the various types? It gave me a big shock when I read it because my daughter scores 6 but she has an atypical dementia. so might not relate to her at all. Am worrying myself sick here thinking she might be so far down the scale.
[/b]
Hi Jeanette,
As far as I know it only relates to Alzheimer's so don't sit there worrying. We ( carers) seem to spend all our lives worrying about something Image

Hi Susieq, thanks for that. At the moment its me who is frustrated and angry Image I can relate to the casserole but unfortunately we are way beyond that. I don't know which is worse, them being mildly independent and having to watch everything they do and putting things out of harms way or doing nothing for themselves at all. We have hallucinations today oh great!!!!!! I really think when they get to this stage they shouldn't be at home its not fair on them or the family but hey ho!!!!! back to the real world Image
Patricia aka goody[/quote]
Am sorry to be a nuisance here, but can I have clarification that the seven stages ARE related to Alzheimers as an individual illness or does it mean all dementias , the various types? It gave me a big shock when I read it because my daughter scores 6 but she has an atypical dementia. so might not relate to her at all. Am worrying myself sick here thinking she might be so far down the scale.
[/b]
Sorry Jeanette, but it does relate to all dementia's not just Alzheimer's. But, and it is a big but, it is only a guide and each sufferer will be different in some respect or another. Have a look at the Alzheimer's website - although it has the 'A' word in the title the association and the website covers all kinds of dementia - Alzheimer's ; Vascular; Picks Disease and Dementia with Lewys Body etc.

In general the seven stages relate to adult (especially elderly) sufferers - I am not sure of your daughter's age, but think she is a lot younger than most sufferers; so I wouldn't put too much store by her score.
ETA: Specially for goody2shoes:

When Mum gets suspicious or angry, I'm trying to cope by not responding - either I say "ah, oh, um, oh dear........" and let her rant at me, or sometimes it works to deflect her attention. If all fails, I walk away.

I've noticed that if I say
a) "would you like coffee?" she snorts at me "NO"
Whereas, if I say
(b) "I'm having a coffee would you like one?" she says "yes".

I suspect it's because (a) is a closed question and gives her the chance to oppose me, whereas in the second question she knows I'm going to have one anyway and she'd miss out!!!

I confess to not being very good at these techniques. My natural inclination when she's yelling at me or critising me for "moving into her home without permission" or she's phoning the police is to yell back!! Then we get a full scale confrontation - during which I feel like a rebellious teenager and she feels good as she thinks she's back in control.....!!!

(Problem I have is that my mother has ALWAYS behaved like this to some extent. She's a control freak....but now has vascular dementia & I have to work out whether it's her existing personality yelling at me or her illness.)
I can't see it mattering why your mother is yelling at you. What you need is dealing with it tactics. Unfortunately, I've none too Image

Mike.
I can't see it mattering why your mother is yelling at you. What you need is dealing with it tactics. Unfortunately, I've none too Image

Mike.

Sorry Mike, my post was in response to one from goody2shoes.....I've edited it.

(Dealing with it tactic - my neighbour says I should put her in the septic tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)