[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Sudden dementia, or something else??? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Sudden dementia, or something else???

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Been here got the t-shirt! You mentioned that your mum went into hospital with low potassium (amongst other symptoms). Low potassium just might be the key. Vagueness, disorientation, lack of mobility and frequent trips to the loo? These are some of the (unfortunately not the serious ones) effects of a low potassium level. Does mum have regular blood tests to ensure her potassium levels are within the 'normal' range? If not please urge your GP to do one asap. Without wishing to worry you, the effects of low potassium can be very detrimental to health and should be monitored closely. And does your Mum have a dietician to advise and monitor on her nutritional needs? If not, and low potassium is a feature, you would be wise to ask your GP for a referral.

Lastly, your poor thing. You must be so tired. Make sure your GP is also aware of the effects this is having on you. Good luck.
I had exactly the same with my 86 year old dad
He was out shopping, going to the hospital (an hour away) by bus for appointments, enjoying sport etc then one day had back pain with confusion.
I called 999 and 3 months later he was discharged from hospital with severe lack of mobility, not being able to take meds, help with washing and dressing, confusion, night waking, hallucinations etc
The hospital psychiatrist said he had 'unspecified dementia with delirium' and that was it.
So I know how you feel, I know how precious sleep is
I am still struggling to find out can it come on this sudden, what stage of dementia as it certainly isn't early stages.
I've now emailed Admiral Nursing for help and advice
Good Luck