[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Someone else with a mother with dementia after a stroke? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Someone else with a mother with dementia after a stroke?

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Fran, is she still in hospital, or now back at home?
It is kinder not to tell someone repeatedly that someone the love has died, to save repeated distress. Kind lies are better.
Fran
My late husband used to ask if I had seen his mother. I couldn't possibly explain that she had died many years ago. Used to tell the kind lies. Something like she can't come out in this heat/ cold, she's at the deaf club but is fine. It pacified him. I changed the subject as quickly as possible.
Of course it's a matter of choice how one deals with these heartbreaking situations. My personal aim was to try and keep my husband as content as possible in his dementia world
Recently I've been having "Is X dead?" from my Mum: this has been mainly my sister and my dad but can be almost anyone else she's known. At the moment she's at a point where she sort of knows that they did die, and she's seeking confirmation and reassurance that she's remembered correctly.