Short break

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Does anyone know if there is any where that provides short breaks/holidays. My parents would like a short holiday- my dad has Alzheimers, he is still in early stages,my mum is his primary carer. they are in their eighties..i guess i am looking for something like a cross between a hotel and a care home ! It would be so good for them to get away together while they still can.
Hi Magatha

try googling 'holidays for alzheimers' - I just did and got quite a few hits.

The Alzheimers Society also produces a fact sheet about holidays for people with dementia and can also provide information on travel insurance.

good luck with the search - hope you can find something suitable Image
Hi Magatha,
There is a special hotel in Llandudno, North Wales that caters for all types of disabilities.
It's on the west shore of llandudno and it's walking distance to main shopping, there's buses anyway
PM me if you want the name.
xx
Hi, charles 47 has OK'd me putting the name of the hotel on,
it's actually called the WEST SHORE hotel.
Lovely area and Llandudno is fantastic with plenty to do
thanks very much...will get googling! Llandudno is a bit too far for us.
Hi Magatha,
There is a special hotel in Llandudno, North Wales that caters for all types of disabilities.
It's on the west shore of llandudno and it's walking distance to main shopping, there's buses anyway
PM me if you want the name.
xx
Hi, charles 47 has OK'd me putting the name of the hotel on,
it's actually called the WEST SHORE hotel.
Lovely area and Llandudno is fantastic with plenty to do
Hi - Daylily was a bit nervous about naming the hotel in case it was treated as a commercial. Didn't think that applied in this case as it was a direct response by a regualr member to a specific query.
Please look at the web site www.dementiaguesthousecare.co.uk
The Mede is a bungalow that specifically looks after people with dementia and their carer when they go on holiday. It is in Devon. if you need more information contact 07718976072
Hi Daylily, is that the hotel that was featured on TV a few years ago? They train young people with learning difficulties in hospitality and their clients are a combination of holiday makers with and without learning difficulties?

Melly1
Hi Melly,
Not sure about that hotel being on tv, we've not long moved to Wales and didn't know about it. I looked into it for a holiday for my friend but it was a bit out of her price range.
take care
xx