[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Question about recovery from dementia from drugs - Carers UK Forum

Question about recovery from dementia from drugs

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
I was wondering if anyone here has had experience with anyone recovering from dementia due to drug toxicity. I'm wondering how much recovery should be expected, and what might help, besides eliminating the drugs of course. My mother was extremely confused and unable to take car of herself at all. Five months have passed and she is much better but still dopey and not her old self. She is apparently reading, but I'm not sure how well she understands. They said recovery would take 6-12 months. I'm hoping she's less than halfway to where she'll eventually be.
Hi Debbi,
it is my understanding that meds for dementia can slow progression of the condition but cannot cure it.

There is lots of info here https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/categorie ... edications

However, if someone was displaying dementia-like symptoms due to drugs/medication and these were then no longer taken, then that is a different issue entirely and would depend if the drugs/ meds had done irreparable damage.

Melly!
Debbi_2003 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:10 pm
They said recovery would take 6-12 months. I'm hoping she's less than halfway to where she'll eventually be.
The time-frame quoted will almost certainly cover the whole range of age groups, it's likely to be the longer end of that for older people: everything to do with recuperation slows down as your body ages.