[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Is this to be expected. - Carers UK Forum

Is this to be expected.

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Hi, this is my first post. My wife has Alzhiemers Her memory is bad and she gets very confused and muddled. She is on Rivastigmine.
Hi taff welcome to the forum
Sadly it is something to be expected. Your wife doesn't mean to hurt you, even though I know it certainly does very much! I taught myself to shake off the hurtful, sometimes venomous comments my husband made, and treasure the good times we could have together. He had vascular dementia and other issues.
Have you been in touch with the Alzheimer's association, or if you have them in your area, the admiral nurses. They can be very helpful.
I'm very sorry that you are going through this. You can vent as much as you would like on the forum, no one judges. I used to! It helped me a great deal
I'm sorry your wife's condition is deteriorating.

Has anyone told you that since your wife developed dementia, she has been completely exempt from Council Tax? This is easy to claim, and can be backdated!
She is also entitled to Disability Living Allowance, if over 65, if under 65, Personal Independence Payment.
I routinely give anyone mentioning dementia this information, as so many people are not told at all.
Thanks for your answers. I have applied for council tax exemption but they told me she would have to be claiming Attendance allowance first. I have just sent the forms back for that, so fingers crossed. Why is it so difficult to claim these things?
I'm dismayed that she isn't already receiving Attendance Allowance. Apply asap.
The form can look very daunting, but unless it's changed recently, there's a yes/no question at the top of the page, if your reply is No you go directly to the next page.
There may be an Age UK branch near you, or a disability advice service, who can help you with the form.
I'm not sure that claiming AA is a requirement for this.
Our Carers UK will be able to help with that.
They've changed the .gov section, really badly, not helpful.
However if you google "Alzheimers severe mental impairment" you will find all you need to know.
You have to be ELIGIBLE for Attendance Allowance, not neccessarily claiming it.
I suggest you download the relevant section and give it to your council!
Thanks for the info Bowlingbun. It's nice to know help is only a click away.
Hi Taff,
I'm currently at home a lot, trying to avoid the rest of the human race as much as possible, for health reasons.
I'm doing incredibly boring filing etc. so every time I have a coffee I see what's going on in the rest of the world via my keyboard as the coffee cools!
I've also noticed over the last lot of weeks that right out of the blue my wife will start talking complete nonsense. It's awful when I see her trying to tell something that hasn't in reality happend.
Hi Taff,
Welcome to the forum.

It's my understanding that as your wife has dementia, you sons should be ok to visit to give you a break as they are in effect caring for a vulnerable person (their Mum.)

Very sad when the dementia makes your wife talk nonsense. It is however her reality, so best to go along with it and then change the subject. Less stressful for both of you.

Melly1