[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nutrition and dementia - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Nutrition and dementia

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Thanks to you all.
Since I joined this forum, life became better for me and my mum.
I am wondering if food looses it's nutrition when it's pureed as my mum won't eat food in its original form or mashed or lumpy.
Thanks again
No Katy, food won't lose nutrition when pureed :)
Just as well, since it's what we feed babies on!

That said, wasn't there something in the food media recently about those smoothie machines which crunched all the goodness out of whatever they liquidised? I didn't really follow it as the idea of a spinach smoothie is beyond yukky!
I think that as far as vitamins and minerals etc are concerned then smoothies are ok - but if blitzed to death they must lose the fibre content (?) which is not good. Purees are different as all you're doing is reducing the food to a thick pulp consistency and it would still retain some of the fibre, and as you say Jenny, we do feed pureed food to babies :)

Personally I don't see the attraction in smoothies of any kind, I'd rather have the individual ingredients whole to enjoy the different textures and flavours !
Smoothies don't fill you up! They're like soup - NOT a meal. And yes, good point about the fibre being blitzed to death. And anyway, NOTHING ON GOD'S GOOD EARTH can make spinach taste good!!!!!! :)
Lol Jenny
I don't mind spinach. However I have to put a knob of butter and salt and pepper on it. Undo the good?! Only occasionally I ate it. Am naughty now. Just find it so hard cooking for one, so have frozen veg.
Pet66 wrote:Lol Jenny
I don't mind spinach. However I have to put a knob of butter and salt and pepper on it. Undo the good?! Only occasionally I ate it. Am naughty now. Just find it so hard cooking for one, so have frozen veg.
Pet did you know that frozen vegetables are just as good, if not better than fresh ? Veg that is frozen is frozen as soon as it is picked so none of the goodness is lost. Unlike 'fresh' veg which has usually been sitting in the supermarket warehouse for at least a day or so before it gets to the shelves (longer if it's been brought in from abroad - think of all those Kenyan beans !). Frozen fruit doesn't fare as well as it has such a high water content, the fruit just turns to 'mush' when it is defrosted.
Susie. I have heard frozen veg is as good for you. Apart from peas it doesn't taste as good to me. Hubby loved my Sunday dinners. Miss cooking them for us. Losing cooking skills I think.
So much to think about in this thread. Thanks for the wonderful sharing everyone.

My hubby can't eat much so I make him small and tasty little meals. I enjoy making them and planning them. I changed us both to smaller plates.
loosing the ability to use a microwave to prepare readymeals has been somewhat of a blessing in discuise for my freind. it used to be that she would adamantly defend her independence on the warm meal front so while I was doing my best doing her shopping (mind you she had very particular tastes, no spicy food, no black pepper.... :roll: ) now she finaly is accepting the help of carers to cook(atm, one a day, hopefully soon morning and evening visits) it has finaly been possible to re-introduce meals with more than one part, like frozen veg, tinned beans, instant mash, frozen fish and chicken!!!! oh the range her diet can have now she'll let other people cook for her (even if it is just microwave). I've tried to make sure she gets three choices for every meal, e.g. protein: (fish or beef) carbohydrate: (mash or chips) and veg: (corn or beans) with a few extras for the carers to switch around. finaly, almost no more of the slop in all in one black plastic tubs (apart from special treats) :)