[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Nutrition and dementia - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Nutrition and dementia

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Sajahar, glad I was able to help, just a tad. I think it's such a good saying to remember 'when that time comes' - it really struck me the first time I read it on this forum. (I just wish I could remember who first said it, and feel bad I can't remember, given how much it struck me!) (maybe someone else here knows??)

It's so HARD to accept human mortality - in a way it's 'unnatural' to 'accept' it, because those of us alive fight like crazy to keep ourselves alive - and keep alive those we love. But I truly believe that by the time my husband died, it was, indeed, his 'time to go'. His frail, stricken body had made him a prisoner in it, and I truly felt he was finally being 'released' from it. My dad died over thirty years ago now, and was well into his eighties, so he wasn't 'cut short' like my poor husband, but as I think of him now I see 'two people' .....I see the dad I loved so much as an elderly man, but increasingly I see him as the vigorous young man he once was, so so long ago. I do the same with my mum, and my mum in law. And Sajahar, one of the thigns I remember vividly about your many, many posts about your fight to keep your mum going was when you posted that photo of her when she was young - she was such a stunner!

And don't you think that she has become that again????

Do you remember the old black and white film, The Ghost and Mrs Muir, about the young widow who falls in love with the ghost of the buccaneering ship's captain who haunted the house she moved to. He helps her in various ways during the decades she lives there, seeing her children grow up - and the ending is absolutely lovely. You see her, as a very, very old lady, sitting in the chair by the fire, and then she 'falls asleep', and you see the ghost captain watching her, and then you see her 'standing up' out of the chair, and going to him....and she's a young, beautiful woman again.....

And remember the ending of Titanic?? How, again, she's a very, very old lady...finally dying.....and then you see, through her eyes, her wandering around the ruined wreck of the Titanic, and then gradually the ship becomes all beautiful and gilded and full of light and colour, and she walks into the grand hall, and all the people are there, and Di Caprio, coming forward to claim her finally....and of course she's young again....

I do, do think that even if all of that is just 'wishful thinking' (though I hope and pray it isn't!), that is how we should remember our parents - not as the old, frail people they lived to be, but as the young vigourous and beautiful people they once were, and which is so, so much more real to them!
Jenny, that Mrs Muir film is an absolute classic. There's a lot to be said for some of those old black and white movies, where special effects were very limited, CGI didn't exist and the cast had to rely on their acting skills to transport the audience to another world.

Jenny, you've helped so many here, such a lot. You're ACE!
SW - thank you! Sadly, I think about the impact of death on human lives rather a lot! I don't really 'live' like I used to, now I'm a widow - I've sort of permanently got 'one foot across the grave' so to speak. Probably my way of 'clinging on' to my husband.

SaA - many apols for hijacking your very sensible thread on nutrition. Maybe the ponderings on life and death should now cross to SW's new thread on that very subject in the Members' section??
My is going through similar face. She has dementia and lately was taking a long time to to swallow half a spoon of her food. Now she can't keep her eyes open long enough which us a problem . Therefore I started to puree all her food.
As well likes
Any advice on how to increase protein intake for my 82 year old mother who has dementia, and eating and swallowing issues now. She eats pureed food most of the time.
Thanks all
Katy_1610 wrote:Any advice on how to increase protein intake.
Thanks
Eggs and cheese are both really good sources of protein and both are easily digestible and can be prepared in lots of different ways that are 'easy' to eat and swallow - think scrambled eggs; egg mayonnaise sandwiches, cheese on toast etc. Also check out the labels on yoghurts etc as many have added protein; bread now also comes with added protein.

Milk is also a very good source, along with nuts and fish - and obviously meat has a lot of protein (especially chicken and turkey).
Mum has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and this post caught my eye.

She has always loved her food and eats like a horse when she comes here! She also ate very well when she had a week in a respite home recently while I went on holiday.

She lives alone and I rang her tonight at 7 and she was already in bed. I asked her what she'd had for lunch and she said "2 sausage rolls." I bought her some fresh ready meals yesterday and told her to heat one up for her lunch today but she clearly didn't. Last week I noticed she couldn't show me how her microwave worked when I went to heat her a meal and she just laughed it off as "a bad day" but I'm actually now thinking she may have completely forgotten how to use it.

She seems to live on crackerbread (which are vile), biscuits, sausage rolls, Pringles and cakes. Basically anything that doesn't need cooking. Up until a few months ago she was making her own soups, shepherds pies and so on. I bought her some lovely yoghourts yesterday, ham, ready to eat mash, 3 fresh ready meals, grapes, bananas, brioche rolls, cheese triangles, cake, scones, Big Soup, .... sorry for listing it on here but I will come back to this and next weekend see what she's actually eaten.
Thanks sisieq
I really appreciate this. I am going to try all the above.
My mum likes anything with bitter taste and sweet now, and have to figure out a way to incorporate these with any food I feed her although she has diabetics 2, which is complicating things.
Thanks again
Dementia. ...
Very good tips I appreciate your
suggestions, will try them.
It is the falling asleep too often that is adding to more the problem.
Any techniques to keep mum awake while she has food in her mouth , I am sort of running out of ideas.

Thanks again.
Thank you all
As I said before Katy, the only thing that worked for me was to sit with Mum and keep chatting to her whilst she ate !