[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
not sure if mam has start of dementia - Carers UK Forum

not sure if mam has start of dementia

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
My 79 year old mam was admitted into hospital 2 weeks ago for kidney infection and has lymphodema of the legsnow she has been getting confused before she went in struggling to remember things and struggling getting the right words out. I have been going in everyday and im finding her getting worse, cant remember the things i told her yesterday keeps seeing strange things, today i have been in and they moved her to another ward yesterday for rehab as she has been on bed rest, i asked what she had for breakfast they didnt give her anything so asked what she had for lunch they brought that but told them she hadnt had breakfast thats cos its all in one today, 15 mins later told me she had shredded wheat for breakfast, said she had been shouting for nurse all morning to use commode and they didnt come so she wet the bed on purpose then saying strange things happening on the ward something going on well she will get to bottom of it. Mam was always a very proud lady and appreciated everything this isnt my mam she is becoming nasty and very awkward and its stressing me out where i dont want to go in as im getting upset. She use to love crosswords and reading but cant do it now as she doesnt know the words any advice appreciated joanne
Urine infections do strange things to elderly people, however if you think it's more than that, then talk to the doctor at the hospital asap. Make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN they don't try and discharge her home until this is well and truly sorted out. Ask them to do an NHS Continuing Healthcare Checklist before they discharge her, when the time comes.
If you don't think she is fit to come home, then make that really clear. Too many people here have had their relatives effectively dumped on them without care or support or aids provided in advance. You have been warned!
Hello
It could be urinary tract infection as BB says. My husband had loads and he was terribly confused. I'm sure the hospital have taken a sample,but I would definitely ask. Sadly, it could be dementia. Your mother may go to an assessment centre. Don't be ' cajolled' into having mum home yet. Lots need sorting.
I'm so sorry you are going through this.
bowlingbun wrote:Urine infections do strange things to elderly people, however if you think it's more than that, then talk to the doctor at the hospital asap. Make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN they don't try and discharge her home until this is well and truly sorted out. Ask them to do an NHS Continuing Healthcare Checklist before they discharge her, when the time comes.
If you don't think she is fit to come home, then make that really clear. Too many people here have had their relatives effectively dumped on them without care or support or aids provided in advance. You have been warned!
Easier said than done- apparently you can be medically fit even with peculiar UTIs that don't respond to ABs, double incontinence, dementia and not able to mobilise-but still "medically fit for discharge". All it needs is social care and pills!
Sorry-just ignore me.
Henrietta, sorry, I know how awful your experiences have been with your dad's hospital.
Hi Joanne

I agree with the above posts. My mother had a Urine Infection and she was confused for a while, seeing things and people. We were really frightened that she would stay like this but luckily she came back to her usual self and didn't remember any of the things she had said or done.
I can understand how worried you are. Hope that it is a infection. Once the antibiotics kick in she should soon be her old self. Wishing you luck & Best Wishes.
Thanks for all your replies mam has been off antibiotics for a week now. She was confused a bit before being admitted but nothing like this im going to see nurses tomorrow to see what they say no way do i want her home if she is still like this as she is a danger to herself i know they are saying she will be going into a rehab unit in a home till they get a base line of mobility and managing at home im just really worried as mam has only me to help her they are saying they will do a carers package when she does come she just loks so frail now and lost abt 3 stone in weight since january
That's a huge weight loss in such a short time. Make sure they realise and investigate.
Do you think the weight loss is because in her dementia she isn't eating (ie, not making meals for herself)?

If not, then, alas, I would be suspicious of a medical cause that really does need to be checked out.
Hi Joanne

Sorry to hear of your problems. The weight loss could well be explained by the onset of dementia as my Mum lost nearly six stone in nine months that was with monitoring her food after she lost three. She simply could not remember if she had eaten or not. The other you might want to check out is to ask a Speech and Language Therapist to check her swallow, Dementia causes problems with this and the tiredness of trying to eat caused my Mum to simply say she was full up.

Concerning discharge from hospital and CHC this process can take up to six week. The first stage being the initial checklist done by nurses etc on ward. You can challenge all six criteria. You need at least 1 A and 4 B's to have a full assessment but even if she does score high there is no guarantee of funding (well not in my area). Do not be guilt tripped into accepting Mum home. (You can decline from being her Carer and remain her daughter). The wording Medical Fit does not mean it is safe for her to go home. The Quality Act uses the term Safe Discharge. That is what I kept asking them, they relented as it was not a safe discharge at all.

I hope all goes well for you