[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Norrms - Page 91 - Carers UK Forum

Norrms

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
951 posts
Norrms, I am sure you mean well, but frankly, by the time I am dead, I will not give a fig what it says on my death certificate. They can put: "Died of wasting too much time at Carers UK AGMs in Canary Wharf " for all I care ... :lol:
Norms
Interesting. As I'm watching my lovely husband and indeed others in the nursing home decline, to me, it's dementia that's taking them. All sorts of dementia, all with cruel symptoms.
So when the time comes, Dementia on the certificate is a true statement, along with any secondary illness suffered. Dementia is no shame, along with any other ' stigma' illness.
Scally wrote:Norrms, I am sure you mean well, but frankly, by the time I am dead, I will not give a fig what it says on my death certificate. They can put: "Died of wasting too much time at Carers UK AGMs in Canary Wharf " for all I care ... :lol:
Neither will I Scally - BUT
(a) my relatives might care
and
(b) it's only when the figures get so high will the necessity (and funds) for research into a cure or a preventative become a reality.
Seriously though, Suzy, as I understand it, the death certificate is needed quite quickly in order to sort out the funeral arrangements, probate, and so on, and the certificate is usually divided between two parts: the immediate and the underlying cause of death. So, it could read (say) : Cause of Death: Pneumonia, underlying cause, COPD . You cannot diagnose dementia formally without a brain autopsy, last I heard, and this would take some time, surely, and offer few obvious benefits?
Scally wrote:Seriously though, Suzy, as I understand it, the death certificate is needed quite quickly in order to sort out the funeral arrangements, probate, and so on, and the certificate is usually divided between two parts: the immediate and the underlying cause of death. So, it could read (say) : Cause of Death: Pneumonia, underlying cause, COPD . You cannot diagnose dementia formally without a brain autopsy, last I heard, and this would take some time, surely, and offer few obvious benefits?
true enough Scally - but new research has led to the latest reports confirming that dementia has now overtaken heart disease and cancer as the single biggest killer in the Western world (something which those of us caring for someone with dementia already knew). Heart Disease and cancer research are extremely well funded (charities like the BHF are very wealthy) in comparison to dementia which is the 'poor relative' in the funding stakes.

A person can live with dementia for many years before they die - a brain autopsy might be useful to confirm diagnosis after death but it isn't really necessary as the symptoms are blindingly obvious to even a lay person. The majority of those with a diagnosis of dementia have been diagnosed by either a Consultant Neurologist or a Geriatric Psychiatrist.

You talk about the 'immediate and the underlying cause of death' - yes, immediate cause could a stroke and the underlying cause Vascular Dementia - but that's rather like asking which came first the chicken or the egg. Vascular Dementia is initially caused by a stroke - then because the VD causes the brain to deteriorate more strokes are likely. Then as it deteriorates more the brain 'forgets' or loses the ability to tell the other organs in the body what they should be doing to keep their 'host' alive.

Current research into dementia is now focusing on being able to recognise and diagnose the disease much earlier and being able to find medication that can slow down it's awful progress - there is no cure and I doubt there ever will be - but if the research scientists can determine what causes the disease in the first place then there is hope that medication to control it's progress can be also be found. But for this research to become a priority then it has to be recognised and acknowledged that too many people are dying as a result of the disease.
I think it's also because they've changed the way death certificates and reasons for death are coded now. I'm not sure if coded is the right word but the system was changed a couple of years ago. The statisticians have been trying to explain that the leading cause of death is now given as dementia because of this change in the rules of coding. That's what has given rise to these changes in the stats.
THE FIGHT WITHIN

You read my posts, you see my pics, but cannot hear my thoughts,
The fight within, rages on, so desperate and so fraught,
I`m disappearing within myself, a little at a time
Every day my mind grows smaller, such a human crime,

Some days i sit for hours, with nothing in my head,
As the day drags on, its the evening that i dread,
Short burst`s of clarity come to me, every now and then,
I write them down, send off to you, and then i`m back again,

All alone within myself, getting ever smaller,
Suffering the blows, of Dementia`s brawler,
So if one day i disappear, before i say goodbye,
Always know your friendships, in my heart forever lies

Please share

CC Norrms

"My World is getting smaller day by day"
Hi Norms,
How about music: do you still enjoy listening to - or maybe even playing - music? What kind of activities are you still able to do for yourself?
HAVE YOU (CARER) or a Loved one With Dementia Got a Story to TELL?? TELL OTHERS YOUR STORY !!!

FREE FOR ONE MONTH ONLY , please tell us YOUR Story and have YOUR VOICE Heard forever,

LISTEN TO MY SILENT VOICES POEM (and more) , shows you how easy it is

CANT WAIT TO HEAR YOUR STORY , Much love to all please just CLICK ON to find out more and please share

http://www.purpleangel-global.com/lifebook.html

Just got this from Owner of Capture One

Roy Moed we are so excited , you are a pioneer as usual. Purple Angel is our first live charity and you are leading the way in which we can record and protect peoples short stories, in their own voices for ever more. Long after we are gone future generations will hear our voices... thanks for leading the way, and for information Silent Voices has already been listened to by nearly 300 people in one day !!!!
What would i change ???

I have seen children being born

I have watched people die,

They have taken their first breaths,

I have heard mournful cries,

Its been a long road,

This fifty nine years,

So full of laughter

So many tears,

But what would i swap?

I hear you all cry,

What would i change ?