Norrms

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
950 posts
Home for a week

Hiya all, well, we have been home a week now from Bolton. The time we spent there was stressful to say the least but with this horrid disease, sometimes it was near impossible!

Elaine was as always wonderful and how she copes I have no idea. On one particular day I went to bed very cloudy which is never a good sign as it usually follows that the following day will be a bad one and it was.
By all accounts and what I have since been told is that I nearly got knocked down twice as I now have no spatial awareness when crossing the road. I have no fear so I have to be led by the hand most places now. During the same day I am told I became very upset and so so very insecure, ranting about what the future holds for my family and me.

All of this I just a blur to me but I do have some faint memories of Elaine holding me tight and stroking my head while I was in bed to reassure me all would be ok.

All seems to pass much faster these days and the past seems so close and not so far away as it really is, if that makes any sense? My childhood seems like yesterday but last month is like it never happened. What a curse this disease is, but while I have breath in my body and a song in my heart I will carry on this terrible fight and take it to the end!!

Best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxx
Good day`s
But
Bad Night`s
Hiya, considering what has been going on this week I had convinced myself I would go into meltdown with the pressure of everything and my Alzheimer’s. Thankfully that didn’t happen (All power to the Ebixa Tablets!!) but what I have found is a gradual downturn in things I do but shouldn’t be IE: putting the cutlery in the bin and the coffee jar in the fridge!! These are things I used to do before the Ebixa but I put this down to the events of the week.
It’s the night times that have taken a real turn for the worse! My nightmares have come back with a vengeance and the new sleeping tablets are either nowhere near strong enough or just not working. I can’t remember if I have mentioned this but my father who died of this horrid disease also had very vivid nightmares both before being diagnosed with Alzheimer`s and which got steadily worse as his conditions worsened. My consultant that I saw very recently said the nightmares usually come with a different type of dementia, Lewey Bodies (I thing she said) and not so usual with Alzheimer’s but when I mentioned my father she promised to look into it if these tablets don’t work (Which they don’t up to now)
How Elaine even functions during the day after being up with me most of the night waking me out of my nightmares and calming me down is beyond me??
I am just wondering how many others with Alzheimer`s early onset or otherwise also suffer from these horrid nightmares and if they are more pronounced when worried or stressed more than usual?
Best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Could I please ask if you could think of, or pray for Elaine and our family today as it’s the first anniversary and going to be a tough one, thank you all so much for your support,
I missed this post yesterday norrms, sorry. I hope you and your family managed to get through the day, I know how hard first anniversaries are.

Love and hugs,

Karen
Through The Eyes
Of A Disabled Man
PART TWO!!!

Well, after my last outing I was convinced that this one would be a better experience. Climbing on my trusty chariot for a second time, the sun was shining, the batteries charged, it was dark, and I am wearing sunglasses!!â€
Thank you so much Karen, hope your enjoying the sunshine, xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The sunshine is beautiful norrms, unfortunately it does disagree with me, I have to try and stay in the shade and keep cool. How's the sunshine there?

Karen
Absolutley Boiling !! Mind you its never really clod here in Torquay Image Just getting readidy to have spag bol for tea, hope you are all well, have a nice night, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxx
It's always lovely in Torquay. I love spag bol. Hope your evening is good.

Karen
Hello Norrms,
whatever's 'Spag Bol'? Never heard of it.....................are wait a minute, spaghetti bolognese, of course, silly me Image

Wish I could have been at the B mad weekend, I didn't even know it existed. I love motor bikes and wish I could get one again. I'd like a Royal Enfield Bullet 500cc. A classic bike with the gears on the 'right' side, as the old British bikes used to be.
It brought a tear to my eye reading about the 'Hairy Bikers' clapping you into the show. Good people bikers.

I've only just found your blog mate, so now I'll try and keep up with it.

My wife has Vascular Dementia and I look after her 24/7, so have just a little idea of how it is for you and Elaine. It's no where near as bad as Alzheimer's though.

God bless you both mate. I know how it feels to have your life turned upside down! Image

Jill & Pete xx
Thoroughly enjoy reading your blog Norrms.

x x
950 posts