[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Norrms - Page 5 - Carers UK Forum

Norrms

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
951 posts
Thank you both, its much appreciated, best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you for your memories Normms. I am glad you have such wonderful childhood memories.
I will say my prayers for you.
Love to you and your angel, Elaine.x
Through the eyes of a
Disabled Man

As I sat on my disabled scooter for the first time I suddenly realised how small I was compared to everyone else! Even my darling wife, only 5 feet herself, (which was one of the reasons I fell in love with her) seemed to tower over me! This wasn’t going to be as easy as I thought!
Setting of at a lightning speed of 5mph off I went with my wife and her little legs trying to keep up with me. After about 200 yards and much discussion between me and my wife about the speed (that`s the polite version anyway!) I eventually got the speed right so she could walk beside me, which I must admit I much preferred. So off we went on our first outing as a disabled couple!
Then the paranoia set in, why was everybody looking at me? Had I forgot to put my pants on or something? My wife said I was imagining it but I’m sure I wasn`t! And when the young lady came past with two children in the pram pointing at me I could have died!! Please ground swallow me up I thought, I didn’t reckon on any of this when I set out this morning!! Then came the time to cross the road, now this, I wasn’t looking forward to!

Avenue road where I live is the main route and road into my seaside town so you can imagine how busy it is! I have never been so happy to see a pelican crossing in my life! After much stretching I eventually pressed the button and my wife and I stood and waited, and waited, and waited. Eventually after what seemed a lifetime they went on red. Not that that matters to the good people of Torquay who are all colour blind I’m sure!
It was time to cross, and half way over I felt like Royalty as a waved and mouthed thank you to one and all! The time had come for a relaxing cup of coffee and a bite to eat. Easier said than done! Outside our normal cafe we go to is a bell and a sign that says “In case of help needed, please ring the bell and you will be assisted into the cafe. Picture this, here I am, 19 stone at the last count, (due to lack of exercise, my excuse and sticking to it) sat on a scooter that probably shouldn’t be taking all that weight, blocking the doorway to the cafe and about to ring the bell just to let someone know I was there, and no doubt the rest of the cafe!!! How bad could it get??
Well, I always believed that “Favour followed the braveâ€
Last Night I had
A Dream
Last night I had a dream, I dreamt that all my woes and worries had gone and a cure for Alzheimer`s and all ailments had been found. I dreamt that all was well with the world and the wars were over and that every soldier comes home safe. I dreamt that Father Christmas managed to deliver a present to EVERY single child in the world without being seen. In my dream all men and women no matter what race creed or colour were equal and lived along side each other in peace. Poverty and hunger were a thing of the past and the fields and mountains were bountiful with food and water. The seas and rivers overflowed with fish and the sunsets were astounding no matter where you live.
Last night I had this dream, and just as I woke I remember looking around and thinking, things are not so bad considering the suffering of others and what they are going through.
We have a lot to be grateful for my friends, no matter how hard it seems at the time. Who knows, maybe one day my dream will come true? Until then, as friends and in families we should make the most of what we have now.

Best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxx
Seeing Through
The Fog

Hiya, the “FOGâ€
Last Night I had
A Dream
Last night I had a dream, I dreamt that all my woes and worries had gone and a cure for Alzheimer`s and all ailments had been found. I dreamt that all was well with the world and the wars were over and that every soldier comes home safe. I dreamt that Father Christmas managed to deliver a present to EVERY single child in the world without being seen. In my dream all men and women no matter what race creed or colour were equal and lived along side each other in peace. Poverty and hunger were a thing of the past and the fields and mountains were bountiful with food and water. The seas and rivers overflowed with fish and the sunsets were astounding no matter where you live.
Oh Norrms - from your mouth to God's ears Image
Being
More
Aware
As the days pass one by one and I get closer to my destiny with this awful disease I have noticed something that I would like to share with you. I have become very aware of things around me and what’s happening within my life. Not only on a day to day basis but on a physical and mental level too.
When my heart failure was diagnosed, a few weeks down the line I noticed I could feel every little twinge and twang around the heart area which I hadn’t noticed before. The same has happened since my Alzheimer’s diagnosis. I have mentioned before that all of a sudden my hearing seems to have got so much better and now I jump and fear the slightest noise or bang. I was never a nervous person as such but it does now affect my day to day living.
I have to try and think before I say anything these days, which if any of you knew me pre diagnosis would know that is not something I was famous for (Two feet at a time kind of person rather than just putting my foot in it LOL) My every action I seem to scrutinise and something as simple as talking to anybody sometimes fills me with fear. I have formed this habit of saying “Am I making sense??â€
A
Year
Ago
Today

It was exactly a year ago today my best friend and brother in law Malcolm died on the operating table during an operation because of an (Alleged) Drs Error. This still has yet to be decided through the courts.

Many of you will remember the shock, horror and upset my family and I went through, especially Elaine who was closer to Malc than anybody I have ever known. Today we will be going up to Babbacombe to where we spread his ashes and remembering him.
He was more that a brother in law to me, he was a soul mate and we got on famously from day one. He is still missed terribly and the fact that my father died 5yrs ago on 5th June, Our Malc one year ago on this day and my wonderful mum on the 12th of June this year sure makes June one of the worst months of the year. I cannot ever remember having such a horrid year from this time last year until now.

Elaine and I said this morning that we are hoping after today we can turn this thing around and try to look to the future. Our future at the moment is on a day to day basis because of my Alzheimer’s but that’s ok with us!! As long as it’s a future with a little bit less bad luck.

Could I please ask if you could think of, or pray for Elaine and our family today as it’s the first anniversary and going to be a tough one, thank you all so much for your support,

best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxx
This was a conversation i had with my mum last year, found it while going through "My Documents" so i thought i would share it with you.
Best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxx

Hiya, just got to tell you all about this. When i last saw mum last September I was asking her where my wonderful gram’s ashes had been spread as i was mortified that i couldn’t remember. This was the fantastic lady who had brought me up as i had lived with her for years. Why ? to long a story but Elaine still says to this day "Your Grans got a lot to answer for Image

Anyway, when i asked her last year she said she couldn’t remember so no more was said. While my mum was in hospital last week Elaine decided to completely "Bottom" mums flat and while doing so came out of the kitchen with a very serious look on her face.

There, at the back of mums bottom pan cupboard was a casket!! All screwed down, airtight and still looking as new as the day it was made!!

This is how the conversation went

Elaine: Err, Norrms, any idea what this is?:eek:

Me: i know what it looks like, but it cant be ??

Elaine: Do you remember the conversation with mum about your grandma?:eek::eek:

Me: Complete silence and open mouthed !!

Me: It cant be? can it ??

Me: Grandma, is that you in there ???

Elaine: i have found many things in my time of nursing and clearing up but never ever somebody`s ashes !!:D

Me; Eventually: Will have to ask mum????

So, the same night i gingerly sat in front of my mum and asked if she knew anything about a casket in the bottom of her kitchen cupboards and was it my dear grandma??

Is It Bl***y H*LL she laughed out loud, Do you think i have completely lost all my marbles??Loll

After a very funny and lengthy conversation about the item found it turns out that my dad worked for a time at our local crematorium and as a joke leaving present they gave him a very nice wooden casket for future use !!LOL My mum had forgot it was there and had intended using it as a money box after cutting a hole in the top but never got round to it !!LOL

My dear Grandma?? Her ashes were interred in the family plot in Astley Bridge cemetery i later found out that night.

Goodnight God bless Gran, still love you loads xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Best wishes, Norrms and family xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A POEM
FOR
OUR MALC

It was exactly one year ago today,
When the angels came and took you away,
How you went was oh so cruel,
The Doctors know we are nobody`s fool,
You were more than a brother in law to me,
That was plain for all to see,
I can’t believe it’s been a year,