[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Recreational ideas - Carers UK Forum

Recreational ideas

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Hi, this booklet was mentioned on one of my special needs forums. If you flick through, there are some nice ideas for using sensory activities to stimulate or aid relaxation in folk with dementia.

http://fada.kingston.ac.uk/de/MSE_desig ... mentia.pdf

Melly1
Melly1

That’s a brilliant link. A bit much to take in on first viewing, but I’ve bookmarked it.

But now I know why mum gets so agitated when I don’t draw the curtains properly at night.
And all that lavender I nicked from Aldi’s car park will be put to good use.
Sajehar,

I liked the ideas because they aim to meet the person's sensory needs but maintain their dignity and recognition that they are adults. Some of the activities would be great for sharing/ doing alongside the caree and some might even help them to self occupy for a few minutes.

I love the smell of lavender.

Melly1
I reckon we shouldn't miss out on exposing our elders to scary movies. These show that there are worse things than being a pensioner on a modest but stable income.... and to avoid hospitals at all costs...
mummy.JPG
Sajehar's last appointment with her Hospital consultant didn't end well ...
mummy.JPG (47.54 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
Scally and Rob have to contend with an unexpected dinner guest during their sailing trip.
neptune.jpg
neptune.jpg (7.89 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Melly1

I too love the smell of lavender. But I hasten to add that I didn't nick lavender pots from Aldi's gardening section. It grows wild in their car park so I took a load of it before it all died off.