[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
How old when diagnosis given - Dementia/Alzheimers - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

How old when diagnosis given - Dementia/Alzheimers

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
thanks,jeanette,i think we are just waiting on the consultants report to make it to adult social care,care co ordinator and social worker gave theirs and been assessed for £175 a week care,so fingers crossed,these bank holidays don't help as the managers meet on a tuesday,at least i've got care co ordinator and the consultant helping me,mark from adult social care is brilliant also, i will lose carers allowance but have a chance of hitting the 30 hrs threshold for wtc,north east lincolnshire council have extended and adapted our home,i just need to afford to live in it now,quite scary,lose eldest daughters tax credit at end of june then the other 2 kids money next year,with no way of going work fulltime because of leaving the wife the same as you wouldn't leave a child home alone,most couples would be off out and about when kids grow up,it's quite cruel how things turn out,off to hinckley tomorrow to renew my taxi badge and see friends who the wife can't remember and scared to see,but would be equally as scared and lost if i left her at home with kids.
I was fifty my friend but had a few problems a couple of years prior to that unfortunatly, hope this helps, i am now 54 yrs old xxxxxxxxx
Good to see you Norrms, you should come on here more often mate.
Well done on everything your doing for dementia awarness around Devon and the south west. Image
(((((( huge man hug for a hero))))))))
Hiya pete, will try to, good to hear from you, Norrms
Changing Times
Changing times, all around,
Walking, stumbling falling down,
Looking Skyward from the ground,
These are Changing times,

Legs like wood, feet like lead,
Horrific images inside my head,
Wishing Lewy Body’s dead,
These are changing times,

Eyes that see but cannot cry,
Depression medicine keep`s them dry,
Frustration forever running high,
These are changing times,

Yet deep inside there is a light,
A light that shines oh so bright,
Telling me to ALWAYS FIGHT!!!!
These are changing times

The change will come one day you`ll see,
Of Lewy body`s we will be free,
And all is well for you and me,
THESE ARE CHANGING TIMES!!

Keep the faith my friends, Love, Norrms and family xxxxxxxx
My Husband was diagnosed (finally 1 month ago) with bi-polar and Alzheimer's he is 65. Already at moderate stage.He had a brain scan 2009, but I only found out 1 month ago that it showed signs of Alzheimer's. At the time we were told that the scan was normal but it showed signs of 'an old brain injury'. What does that mean? Was the consultant negligent, or did he know? Feeling bitter as if we had been told at the time we could have had help earlier. Thank you
when STAN was in his late 70`s i was told he had EARLY dementia ...what a joke...
was that early onset dementia or early signs of dementia,because they are 2 entirely different things?
he did not have dementia he had alzheimers which i said he had for many years before they agreed .....

they said his alzheimers could have been caused by his 5 years as a P.O.W in Poland due to poor diet 500 calories per day and as STAN was a "thorn" to keep the Germans on the hop, and as a constant escapee he was often in solitary on an even lower calorie diet less then 250 per day .....
he did not have dementia he had alzheimers which i said he had for many years before they agreed .....

they said his alzheimers could have been caused by his 5 years as a P.O.W in Poland due to poor diet 500 calories per day and as STAN was a "thorn" to keep the Germans on the hop, and as a constant escapee he was often in solitary on an even lower calorie diet less then 250 per day .....
Sorry to have to correct you Geroge - but Alzheimers is only one of many forms of Dementia - Vascular Dementia, Picks Disease, Dementia with Lewys Bodies, Korsakoff's Dementia, and many more all come under the generic heading of "Dementia".

Alzheimer's is the most common form of dementia. During the course of the disease, the chemistry and structure of the brain changes, leading to the death of brain cells. No link has yet been established between poor diet and dementia in later life; in fact, despite lots of research, no-one is still certain what does cause it although there are plenty of theories - the most common being that it is in some way genetic. We know what it does to the brain and we know the long term results of that, but how to successfully treat it and how to cure it is still a long way off.