Head now slumped forward

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
My mother is 94 with dementia and has recently undergone a hip operation (pinning bones together) after a fall she had. She has been in hospital now for almost 2 months. Yesterday I noticed, for the first time, that when she was in a chair she had her head slumped forward, i.e. virtually on her chest. She was asleep at the time but, on waking, seemed unable to revert her head back to the normal position. I massaged the back of her neck, thinking it may be knotted there or stiff muscles but felt nothing.

There is another woman in the ward with this condition. I am wondering what it is a sign of....reaching the end of the line? The doctor discovered that she had a blocked valve which bodes badly for recovery. She is on 15 medications and seems to be fading fast, i.e. her voice is barely above a whisper now. Yesterday when I saw her with the head stooped forward, she seemed zombified - eyes wide open, no thoughts....she said one or 2 things but nothing for the most part. :(
Hello Amy,

I wonder is it possible that your Mum may have had a small stroke ? The only other thing that I can think of that would cause her head to be slumped forward would be osteoporosis in the small vertebrae that support her neck and head - but that normally comes on over a long period of time, not suddenly.

It is also possible that she is now exhausted from the effort to stay alive and is ready to 'give up' and I think you must begin to mentally prepare yourself for this eventuality.
Is she on any meds that could contribute? ie sedation or side-effects? Some meds used to calm people can cause stiffening in the joints, perhaps check with the medical team?