Deprivation of liberty

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Mam is in a home she has dementia/alzheimers and depression, at times she is quite coherant, however it was diagnosed a few years ago that she is quite depressed. She also can't walk and is chairbound.

Anyway, the home she has been in the last year has requested a deprivation of liberty, they didnt even bother explaining just went straight to social services,What does this mean, is it a good thing? I am just not sure. If anyone can re-assure me I would most appreciate it, is there any gain for them or are they just being genuine? Thanks
Hi Linda.

Internet search ... Deprivation of Liberty ... throws up many results , mainly from academics and organisations.

In essence :
The Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) are part of the Mental Capacity Act 2005.

The safeguards aim to make sure that people in care homes and hospitals are looked after in a way that does not inappropriately restrict their freedom.

The safeguards set out a process that hospitals and care homes must follow if they believe it is in the person's best interests to deprive a person them of their liberty, in order to provide a particular care plan.

It is then the role of Adult Social Care to arrange for assessments to ensure the deprivation of liberty is in the person’s best interests.

Some external links to explore ... major heavyweights in this sector ... including full sp :

https://www.scie.org.uk/mca/dols/at-a-glance

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-suppo ... uards-dols

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/a-to-z/ ... uards-dols

https://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/healthadvice/ ... uards.aspx

Not an easy subject ... feel free to ask anything further.
Hello Linda
Just to reassure you. My husband has DOLs in place.This is the 3rd. Appears to be renewed each year.I have no concerns, as it's for his safety and well-being.
However, I am always informed when a renewal is going to take place, have a copy of the assessment, and, a courtesy call. Hubby is chair/ bed bound, and is very confused because of strokes and vascular dementia.
I feel it was very discourteous that you were not informed prior, and no explanation given as to why it's deemed necessary.
Thankyou. I have read over all the info. but I still don't get it. Must just have to accept it, never mind.
Hi Linda ... the very heart of Deprivation of Liberty is summed up in the two paragraphs posted earlier :

The safeguards aim to make sure that people in care homes and hospitals are looked after in a way that does not inappropriately restrict their freedom.

The safeguards set out a process that hospitals and care homes must follow if they believe it is in the person's best interests to deprive a person them of their liberty, in order to provide a particular care plan.

In short , how best to protect a person's human rights under those , challenging , conditions.
Hi Linda
It's just a procedure the Home as to follow as Mam cannot get up and walk out by herself. Although her restriction is of medical cause, the Home still has to go through the procedure to show that they are not unfairly 'depriving her of her liberty'.
It's part of the laws/procedures brought in a few years ago to make sure that families and Homes weren't keeping people in against their will.
Nothing to worry about, it's in her best interests

Hope this helps
Kr
MrsA
Hi, that did reassure me a bit more, thanks so much for your replies.
Yes, My MIL has a DOL order on her. The second care home she went into organised it, as she kept trying to 'escape' (poor soul). (She has dementia, and simply had no thought of any danger to herself in 'wandering off' )(she just wanted to 'go home' , poor soul.....)

In her third home (as the second home 'expelled' her as she was impossible to stop from getting out!), she went into a secure unit, with no exit other than the stairs with a code-controlled stairgate and a code-controlled lift.

Although I'm neither next of kin, nor 'responsibile' for her, I pay her fees and am her point of contact, but all the same the care home manager went through the DOL with me, and I agreed to it for her own safety. So though I can't say I was 'consulted' or 'asked permission of' I was definitely informed and it was explained to me.
Yes the previous comments explained it clearly. It is for the security of our loved ones specifically the elderly. You shouldn't be worried or anxious about it.