[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dementia Poems: Holes In The Wall - Carers UK Forum

Dementia Poems: Holes In The Wall

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
I write haiku poems and have been working on some relating to my Dementia Journey with my mum. This is a cascading haiku about one of the earlier signs that all may not be well...

One very hot day, I came home to find Mum had been frantically ironing, but the ironing board was set up in an unusual place and too close to the wall. The wall was dotted with hundreds of tiny holes where the point of the iron had hit it. As I recall, Mum seemed not to have noticed the damage and when I pointed it out, she didn’t link it to anything she had done.

Looking back, this was clearly one of many littles warning signs that all was not well. If only we’d seen the writing on the wall, how might Mum’s Dementia Journey have differed? I guess I’ll never know.
holes in the wall
from frenzied ironing -
the clues we missed

the clues we missed
seem like writing on the wall
now my brick has gone

now my brick has gone
what she meant is the cement
holding me together

holding me together
smiles, love and laughter before
the holes in the wall