[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dementia Cat - Carers UK Forum

Dementia Cat

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
In a cafe today I met a couple who had a big cat sitting on the table. From a distance it looked real. Turns out it is a “dementia cat” so the lady tells me and her husband, who has dementia is its proud owner. it purrs, closes its eyes rolls over, lifts its paws etc.

They cost about £120 but the wife told me it was worth every penny and more as her husband is so relaxed and calm now and spends his time stroking it and absolutely loves it. i had never seen one before and wondered whether anybody on here had experience of one.
Google search not recommending...

https://dementia.livebetterwith.com/pag ... gL85PD_BwE

I think it would be suitable for lots of individuals with health issue.
Yes, there was is one at the nursing home my late hubby was in. It actually gave me the creeps! Sat in front of a fire place. I didn't see residents take much notice but they may have.
I help out at a memory cafe and someone brought one in one week and one of hour ladies had it on her lap. Her eyes lit up and she looked so pleased and content- wonderful to see.
Sounds a great idea. Before we moved, I used to visit a couple of Nursing Homes with my beloved late Vroomi he was a PAT cat (Pets as Therapy). It was lovely to see the faces of the elderly light up when they stroked him - he was a show cat so fairly bomb proof but a lot , if not most, cats do not have the temperment and to be honest, a couple of the residents were quite rough. So yes, if it helps make the persons life easier (and the Carers) I think it is wonderful!
Pet66 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:31 pm
Yes, there was is one at the nursing home my late hubby was in. It actually gave me the creeps! Sat in front of a fire place. I didn't see residents take much notice but they may have.
Obviously the staff would need to demonstrate how it works to residents and encourage them to stroke it because the more it is stroked and handled the more it does .... eg opening eyes, purring etc.
Sadly I don't have anything to do with the nursing home now my husband has died. Hopefully the young lady who organises activities will sort out for them. She is very good with very little budget or support.
Penny,
I've seen the cheaper ones - we had some at school many years ago some of the children liked them - they were creepy, Pet66.

However the one you are referring too does a lot more.

I bought my Mum a soft toy kitten one Christmas, she loves it, talks to it and cuddles it - she doesn't have dementia - but prefers it to a real one.

Melly1