[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Convincing Dad he needs to go into a nursing home? - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Convincing Dad he needs to go into a nursing home?

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Along with my brother we have Poa for Dad so I guess we have to evoc that on his behalf and insist he goes into a nursing home.

... and dismiss the CHC possibility ?

Until one applies , the answer will be unknown.
I have been to look at a few nursing homes and have been shocked by how instatuionalised they are. The ones I like are £1200 per week and from what I can gather SS will pay up to £700 per week. The cheapest is £900.00 per week, which is the one I really didn't like.
The social worker is coming next week so hopefully will explain how this works.

Mum and dad have limited savings together so are under the freshhold I believe, their income is also low enough to get council tax support. They do own their home but I have no idea how e can top up several hundred pound a week with out selling or doing equity release?

Do we have any choice about where my Dad would go?
When I mentioned CHC the home manger just smiled and said good luck with that one!

Is CHC worth pursuing?
Would we still need to top up?
Hi Hugs ... looks as if a little homework is required ?

The social worker is coming next week so hopefully will explain how this works.
They do own their home but I have no idea how e can top up several hundred pound a week with out selling or doing equity release?

AGE UK ... care home financing ... all the basics :

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-ad ... care-home/

( If looking for advice on elderly care ... please , please ... AGE UK ... and not a social worker ! )

Is CHC worth pursuing ?

Would we still need to top up?

CHC ?

In theory , a 5 star NHS nursing service provided FREE of charge ... if granted.

" Now , where's that link that Chris posted earlier ? "
If the cheapest available in the area costs £900, then that is the amount the council must pay. It's unlawful to set a ceiling that is lower than the lowest place available. It's also unlawful to ask the client to top up the amount. Relatives should not be asked to top up either.