[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Care home move - Carers UK Forum

Care home move

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
After 18mths of fighting our arses off to keep Dad safe and well in his own flat, a rapid deterioration in his cognitive state, coupled with a stay in hospital, has necessitated a move into a residential care home, funded by the local authority.
My bro and I are now going through the process of clearing his flat, ready for it to be returned, and we're sorting all his accounts and things out.
Mind you, I was already doing all his admin anyway as he just gradually started passing it all to me to do before he was diagnosed with vascular dementia.
My day is now just one long list of things I need to do, people I need to contact.
Every time I cross something off the list, I think of at least two more things I need to do.
I'm relatively lucky in that Dad is very verbally communicative and most people are happy to speak to and deal with me as long as he is with me when I phone them (otherwise he'd talk their bummy ends off).
I'll just be glad when all this is sorted.
It can feel overwhelming, so take control.
I put everything in a lever arch file, one subject in a plastic sleeve, in order of priority. Thats anything which brings money in or has a deadline. As you deal with each job, put the plastic sleeve in a second lever arch file, so you can see how much you have done. If you do just one or two jobs each day, it will soon get done. Don't forget to look after yourself too.
That's a good idea, I need to do that.

I've also been lucky so far in that nobody has even asked whether I have POA for Dad - he just waffles on about "This is my daughter, she looks after me..." then they ask to speak to me!
It does go on and on, doesn't it?!

Why not set yourself an 'end date' as a goal - eg, by the beginning of September, or whatever, - and then promise yourself a holiday as a 'reward'. Don't book it yet, just in case, but plan it, and amuse yourself exploring 'nice places to go' on the Internet! (Whether home or abroad, short or long - a 'treat' is in order I think.)