Blue badge parking

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
Well the news that the government is extending the scheme to include people with autism and dementia is going to certainly open a can or worms on the subject.
Potentially another 1.5 million people will be entitled to a blue badge.

Yes I agree all disabilities are not visible but as someone who looks after a person who is wheelchair bound the need for a wide parking space to enable loading and unloading of a wheelchair is a must. I would be happy to walk/push someone further even the back of the car park as long the space was big enough to accommodate a wheelchair user.

I think we are loosing track a bit of what the disabled bays are actually for. Maybe it’s time we should have some sort of parking zones for “able bodied” disabled people. If they can create spaces for parent and child ? I’m all for smaller disabled spaces for people who don’t have wheelchairs ?

I’m writing this not meaning to offend anybody as any disability is a daily struggle. What I’m trying to say is that I don’t think this is going to make life easier for everyone
I agree entirely. I had a Blue Badge after a car accident mucked up my knees, happily with knee replacements I'm fine, but I never needed the wider spaces. In my town nearly all the disabled spaces are behind Tesco, at least 100 yards from the High Street. I reckon Tavistock has a better idea, lots of disabled parking on the High Street, then it's the able bodied that do the walking!
I think a can of worms sums it up perfectly. People will be more keen to get a dementia diagnosis to claim their blue badge and as anyone who has been through the dementia journey knows it's a hard to define timeline of progressive decline. Someone could have dementia and be totally mobile with or without a little assistance and then towards the end they could have an ever increasing risk of fall or wandering tendancies, or other behavioural issues that would make a quick trip in and of a shop for a carer most welcome without having to navigate an enormous Tescos car park.
Whoever will be determining the point at which it is "needed" will have their work cut out and I see many challenges ahead for them.
If it is awarded upon production of a diagnosis saying "dementia" then everybody will need to get out into their car parks and treble the number of spaces pronto.
As for younger people with an autism diagnosis, lookers on may fail to see their disability and start mouthing off- a most unpleasant experience.
This system is already in place in Wales and Scotland.

A blue badge for S ( autism) when he is anxious or unwell particularly when attending appointments would be a godsend. Parking close to the entrance being the most essential part, so that I can get him out of somewhere and back in the car quickly before he causes danger to himself or the public. There are times when we need to go out and it is risky to do so, this would lower the risk and make it a lot less stressful.

I have arthritis and have been in a wheelchair and on crutches before and after two operations. Without a blue badge we had to park at the far end of the carpark so that we could open the doors wide enough etc On one occasion we parked in a space with nothing on either side, my friend got the chair out of the boot and as she was setting it up a total i***t parked up close on the passenger side, when challenged, he shrugged and walked off. There were lots of other spaces available! When I did get an orange / blue badge there weren't always any spaces and often folk used them even if they didn't have one, and were using the space for convenience.

Like everything common sense needs to be applied, there are folk with a very mild physical disability who are able to have a badge who don't really need it and there will be those with autism and dementia who don't need it. It all depends on how the system is implemented.

Melly1
I really believe a diagnosis of dementia should automatically put a stop to driving. So, a carer will be ok to drive. Therefore they don't need a blue badge. Unless of course they have a disability to warrant one for there own needs. This may sound harsh from me, someone going through the dementia journey, but I remember being so scared when my husband drove when dementia was setting but not diagnosed. This man who was a most competent driver. I understand that a carer may need to be as quick as possible, but so do many others. Common sense seems to be so lacking in many aspects of life.
The Blue Badge is for a disabled person, either driver OR passenger. If someone has a diagnosis of dementia surely that should mean immediate removal of a driving licence?! I once knew someone who didn't drive, but her husband had dementia and continued to drive. When I asked how they managed she said she told him what to do!!! (a retired teacher!!!!!!)
With my MIL with dementia, for a good long while she was perfectly capable of walking, slowly (well, she was 89!), but gradually it became harder (whether with age or the dementia) so I would want to park as close to the café entrance or whatever. Eventually, she wouldn't have been able to manage without a wheelchair. Now she is completely immobile even in her care home.

So my point is that I agree that 'dementia' per se is not justification for being allowed to use scarce disabled bays. That said, I can remember taking her to a National Trust property when she was still 'mobile' and the nice parking guy there said of course we could park right near the house in the disabled bays, rather than in the car park which was a good walk from the house (in the house and grounds we used a wheelchair anyway).

I completely agree about applying common sense - BUT, it also needs to be POLICED.

As we know, the jerks in this world will both help themselves to the disabled bays with impunity......(and the uber-jerks will steal the blue badges!)
I don't know if it does automatically put a stop BB. I'm going to do a bit of research. Hubby didn't drive after diagnosis, he never returned home. I know I would have had a struggle to stop him if he had. Hiding keys etc. It's so so scary!
Driving is SO important to men. My husband found it the hardest thing when his cancer spread to his brain, and he wasn't allowed to drive any longer - it hit him the hardest of anything I think.

It's a shame that those 'dual control' cars aren't more available, maybe, that driving instructors have, so they can 'take over the controls' ......