[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Alzheimers ( famous people) - Carers UK Forum

Alzheimers ( famous people)

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
A very moving look at the famous people already taken by this Disease.

I watched this and was surprised at how many names I knew on it.

http://dementiasupport.blogspot.com/200 ... sease.html
Many of those peopleI new of but hadnt realised they had alzheimers, some of the information which was hidden when their deaths were announced.
It used to be that cancer or AIDS were the unmentionable diseases.

Now it seems it's Alzheimer's.
Charlton Heston, a Hollywood leading man for six decades, died Saturday night at his home in Beverly Hills. At 84, he had been suffering from Alzheimer's disease.
What a wonderful post and thank you so much. just shows that this horrid disease has no barriers. this is why i think it is so important to raise awareness so to rid the illness of the stigma it has got, best wishes, Norrms and famly xxxxxxxxxxxx
It used to be that cancer or AIDS were the unmentionable diseases.

Now it seems it's Alzheimer's.
Not now Charles - nearly everyone I talk to these days knows someone, either a relative or a friend, with this disease.

Unfortunately it is true to say that it is the 'poor relation' when it comes to funding for research. I can't remember the exact figures quoted but I remember reading that there are more people diagnosed with dementia than cancer and heart disease combined, but that dementia research gets only a fraction of the funding of either.

The current 'official' stats are that 1 in 5 of the population has or will develop dementia, with this increasing to 1 in 3 ijn the very near future.