[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
advice needed - Carers UK Forum

advice needed

For issues specific to caring for someone with dementia.
any ideas as to how i cope with this situation.

mum put her electric kettle on the gas to boil this morning. crossroads lady found it. mum had turned off the gas in time, but could have been a big disaster. kettle ruined but thats not the problem as it can be easily replaced.

i reported it to mums social worker just because i thought it should be recorded. she said i should have the cooker turned off and for mum to use microwave and that is the advice they are told to give out in this situation. but as in real life one solution does not fit all.

mum had a microwave but could not understand that to cook a frozen meal for 2 mins. meant no more than 2 mins. she would put it in for 20mins or more resulting on black smoke everywhere. thinking about it now, i suppose it would have eventually set alight.

so when i explained this to social worker, she said i have given you my advice and that was that really. as i live 50 miles away (trying to sell property to move back nearer mum, but that is guilt i have to live with).

So what do i do, have the gas hob turned off. i don't think mum really uses it much, although she obviously knows how to turn it on. leave the electric oven working so she can continue to put meals in there to cook. that seems to be the best solution for the time being. or follow social workers advice and have the whole lot turned off. just typing this has helped me, but would be interested to read what you all think.
Hi Pam,

Personally I suspect the time is fast coming when mum will not be able to cook her own meals. Could Social Services provide carers for two visits a day to prepare meals? This is what my mum has. This enables you to turn the gas cooker off and perhaps get something to prevent mum from turning on the microwave:

http://www.alzproducts.co.uk/socketsafe ... cover.html

My mum's carers will only microwave, not put things in oven, but it is better than the alternative of setting the house on fire.

Sending (((hugs))) as I know how difficult it is especially when you are caring from a distance.

Anne x
any ideas as to how i cope with this situation.

mum put her electric kettle on the gas to boil this morning. crossroads lady found it. mum had turned off the gas in time, but could have been a big disaster. kettle ruined but thats not the problem as it can be easily replaced.
Mine did exactly the same thing, then hid the molten kettle and told me someone had stolen it Image I then got her one of the old fashioned whistling kettles that you do put on the hob - the whistling meant that she couldn't 'forget' it was on so that it couldn't boil dry ! But it was soon after this that I actually moved in with her and took over the cooking so it wasn't a problem for very long.
yes, thanks for all your replies, really helps to have peoples (friends) thoughts.

I have arranged to have the gas hob disconnected on Tuesday afternoon. But for the electric oven to stay connected.

might start looking for a really simple microwave and give her a try. i will do some research, my son seems to think there maybe a microwave that has been designed for people with dementia to use. will look through internet sites and see what comes up.

pam x
Just a thought Pam but we had to take out the cooker from my mum's flat as she wasn't safe with and although now she doesn't cook at she used to use an electric fry pan. This plugs in like an electric kettle and you can use it to bake, fry and boil stuff. This is the one she has. I use it to prepare her meals now and also a microwave.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prestige-La-Car ... frying+pan
it looks heavy sarah, is it?
Not heavy. Probably about the same as a slow cooker. The beauty of this is that with the power supply unplugged from the pan you can completely submerge it in water to wash it.
thats it, deed done. i had mums gas hob turned off so she is unable to use it. on the morning of the day it was to be turned off, mum did exactly the same thing and put her electric kettle on the gas to boil. this made me realise that yes, i was doing the right thing in having the hob turned off. when i tried to explain to mum she said, but how am i going to boil my kettle.
now she is back to using the electric kettle appropriately and cooking ready meals in the electric oven. so i will make the most of it for the time being, as i realise that she may loose these abilities before too long.
thank you everyone (again) for your help. pam x