[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
school Refusal - Page 2 -Carers UK Forum

school Refusal

For issues specific to autism / Asperger Syndrome.
Thank you for all your replies.

So result of the meeting today:

He isn't on the SEN register and can't be on it as currently she has no evidence to suggest his learning is impacted, this may change in October with their next lot of assessments which will prove he isn't there to learn

When I get the referral to CAMHS I must not mention he is being referred for Autism as he will be rejected

They still cannot provide any online learning for him as the D of E have said no online learning now for children off sick and technically he is off sick. A reasonable adjustment cannot be made for him to do this as reasonable adjustments can only be made in school.

Attendance officer has referred back to the local authority as he has been off for 10 or more days so maybe they will help.

It would be pointless to go down the route of an EHCP as he has anxiety over the way he looks and no amount of education help will get him over that anxiety.
Oh Nicola

Thanks for coming back to give an update. How are you feeling?
Are you aware of
https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/condit ... ysmorphia/
which will prove he isn't there to learn
What does this mean?
When I get the referral to CAMHS I must not mention he is being referred for Autism as he will be rejected
. I don't understand the above. Were you support by anyone this morning in the meeting. If not I feel you need an independent advocate to assist you.
Nicola,

The statements that you received from the meeting are , in my opinion, excuses for authorities to do nothing. Someone mentioned IPSEA and our children's right to education. Please try to get some advice from them. I can also remember services for education (I think one was called Red Balloon) which offered online learning. The school could be providing off site learning and certainly remote learning opportunities.

Education is important. My sons not only missed out on vital education, but they missed out on peer support, careers advice (which I know is not the responsibility of the school, but study choices and career goals are talked about). Their behavioural issues escalated through social isolation. Now my youngest dare not contact any of his old school friends because they have been to college, university, got jobs and so on. He is still stuck. His self esteem could not be lower.

Although my youngest son refused assessment, it is very likely he has PDA and I found the PDA UK website very helpful. Unfortunately, I did not access it until he was well and truly disenfranchised from the education system.

Our crisis happened seven years ago, and I suspect, with the pandemic and even more stretched resources, that the tendency to fob parents off with unacceptable excuses for lack of action is even worse than it was when my sons were school age.
sunnydisposition wrote: Oh Nicola

Thanks for coming back to give an update. How are you feeling?

Currently feeling very deflated, like I am banging my head against a brick wall and really not sure where to turn to now

Are you aware of
https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/condit ... ysmorphia/

No I hadn't heard of this but it does sound very much like what he may be suffering so will look into this more.

which will prove he isn't there to learn
What does this mean?

He won't be at school so can't do the assessments so in theory his learning will then be shown to be affected and maybe he will be put on the SEN register
. I don't understand the above. Were you support by anyone this morning in the meeting. If not I feel you need an independent advocate to assist you.

No someone from an external support group had offered to come with me, but unfortunately she had another meeting that clashed so I was by myself.

The school attendance officer said she had emailed the LA as he hadn't been in school for 10 days plus and they may be able to do more. I will give IPSEA a call and discuss things with them, I have previously spoken with SENDIASS. The attendance officer said before covid his attendance was in the 97 - 99% range so she could see Covid was the cause. It makes me think that because it is the cause, it is also now the reason they are using it as an excuse not to help more with his learning.

I have emailed my local MP to see if she can provide clarity on the law regarding online learning from the Department of Education.
I'm not sure "Covid IS the cause"!
I think the point the school are making is that before lockdown attendance was fine. We have no way of knowing if this would have happened if we hadn't had two spells of home schooling or not.
I'm generally regarded as a very "down to earth" person, but I really don't want to mix too much with the rest of the human race at the moment. All the certainties of my life seem to have changed, and I really feel safer at home, doing all those odd jobs that never get done.
Almost 2 years of Covid uncertainty is a huge chunk of a teenager's life, I would have expected the school to be understanding and reassuring, making a real effort to help all pupils settle back into school life. Don't they have any sort of counselling service?
I was told they have a wellbeing coordinator but if he is referred to CAMHS they don't do both. Also he has to be in school for this. Honestly it feels like everything I ask they close the door. Only help available is if he is in the school
And sorry should have added I am sorry about your difficulties x