tinnitus

For issues specific to autism / Asperger Syndrome.
My autistic son has recently told me he is suffering from 'ringing/ noises' in his head.
They seem to last several hours /days - its difficult to tell as he has short term memory problems and gets very stressed with lots of questions.
Any ideas on how to get info from my son about the noises WITHOUT stressing him out and where is the best place for advice/ info ( apart from here - of course Image )
Many thanks
Good question. Frankly I have no idea where to go with this one. Might be worth trying AutismConnect? http://www.autismconnect.org/login.asp? ... 3D00010005
will do - many thanks
Hi Oaklady,

I have found this....

Sensory impairments
Many autistic individuals seem to have an impairment in one or more of their senses. This impairment can involve the auditory, visual, tactile, taste, vestibular, olfactory (smell), and proprioceptive senses. These senses may be hypersensitive, hyposensitive, or may result in the person experiencing interference such as in the case of tinnitus, (a persistent ringing or buzzing in the ears). As a result, it may be difficult for individuals with autism to process incoming sensory information properly.

I would suggest you have a word with your GP or better yet a consultant if your son has one.This may be something they have seen in others so should be able to advise you more.

You have the link Charles gave you.

Also there is the National Autisitc Society

http://www.nas.org.uk/nas/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=10

Hope this helps.

Rosemary

Many thanks, we're seeing his consultant in a few days, so will mention it - though my son is seen by an epilepsy consultant
Still worth mentioning it to him though and if he cannot help you ask for a referral to someone who can.

Good luck and please keep us posted.I am sure your situation will be of interest to others reading.
saw the consultant and my sons ears and hearing were tested (no problems) and the consultant has ordered an 'urgent ' MRI scan. So we'll get an appointment in the next 4 weeks.
I wasn't bothered about the tinnitus UNTIL the consultant took it seriously LOL
Now I am nervous
*fingers crossed* its something straight forward - though with my son that is not likely
Thanks for the update.

I hope all goes well.
How has your son coped with the tests? I know his reaction was one of your concerns.
He was great! The consultant did one with a tuning fork - Hern told him it tickled Image
It must have been a relief for you all the same.

Hope all goes well

x x x x