[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tamtrums/head banging - Page 2 - Carers UK Forum

Tamtrums/head banging

For issues specific to autism / Asperger Syndrome.
Im so dreading the hormone stage, i hope it dont happen soon..iv seen 2 teens thr this stage but not one with Autism and global delay..how hard is that going to be.

Hope your weekend isnt too bad and not to many blow ups. x
Hi Aur,

you say he spends a lot of time in the bathroom playing with his "thingy." S has autism and is a young adult. He gets frustrated when he has problems getting "satisfaction." Could this be a problem? The other thing to check is that he hasn't made himself sore or got thrush. One more thing, when S is poorly he spends more time in this activity as a distraction, but when he is poorly he also gets anxious and this affects his ability to gain "satisfaction." It all a guessing game isn't it?

I think I'm facing a tricky weekend here too. Hope we are both pleasantly surprised!

Melly1
My daughter went through this phrase when she was very young, I realised that is was me being there and giving her attention which encouraged this and finally when she done it a few times I removed myself from the room until she calmed down.

However, my friend whose boy has autism done this for a long time, and didn't realise until after he died from another condition not his head, that his head banging might have been because he suffered migranes, because she had suffered them, need to check this out he may be suffering from headaches.
Oh my, that's so sad about your friend’s son Petty.
Well today I was at the GP again with son, to get his ears check as OT suggested (he was recently put on medication for reflux and that's getting a bit better)...he said ears look fine. On my request gp has will make a referral for a Paediatrician from the child Development centre for a general examination (will ask about possible headaches when we go,thanks)
He is a bit more settled but in general his behaviour has changed for the worse, these days is screaming at the top of his voice when we are out and touching people inappropriately Image he's been soooo excited with all this snow getting soaking every time, can't wait till it all melts!!

aur
What is it about snow and autism, I went in her room when it started to settle to find 10 cups full of snow, where she had opened the window and filled them up. It would have been a lot easier if she went outside, (she's being reclusive at the moment).

Its hard to treat our kids for typical illnesses because they find it hard to explain it to us, we either have to guess or assume and doctors are not forthcoming with their knowledge of help either. I remember when my daughter was 3 years of age ended up in hospital over dehydration, after 2 weeks we found out she had Cystitis, it caused her to stop drinking. She's 31 now, she doesn't talk to me she demands that I do what she wants, and she hurries you by saying now and today.

She's never told me she's had any headaches and I know she must have had one in her lifetime, we do get one that why they sell tablets in supermarkets, she can explain a sore throat by pointing to the neck and telling me that she has a cold here, she can tell me she has a tummy ache and asks for immodiums or meltets.

I hope they treat your son, its going to be hard because pains are not part in the autistic world and cannot be explained.

Good luck and take care
Charlotte was soooooooooooooo exicted when she saw the snow she has ASD and OCD, she also keep's saying when is it Valentine's is it today and she has eaten the snow as well, one of her traits is putting thing's in her mouth she is very tactile and any food's she eats she always licks it and smells it first.

Liz x
Aur3 did you get any results from your childs behaviour on the head banging, if not do not give in especially to the health service. I feel lately, I am an alien when it comes to speaking on behalf of my daughter. Some people in this place look at you as if you have come from another world.

Please give us an update if you can.

Take care.
Hi petty
Thank you for your reply...things are still difficult, son has been referred by the gp to the child development centre but don't know how long that will take...yesterday he broke his bedroom window after banging his head several times on the floor, it gets scary. SW basically ignores me and only got back to me the other day bacause I had a crisis with the after school club he was attending ("organised" by ss) so I decided to take him out as could not take more of that...so now waiting to see if manager will want to put another service in place.
I know what you mean by feeling like an alien...the family support worker for the area does not talk to me anymore she literally turns her head whenever she sees me, (some gp the same) to not have to talk to me, why because I asked for help several times and say I'm not managing well...I find it sad really
But I guess I should try to be super women and manage everything on my own...sorry didn't want to make this so long I hope things get easier for you too. Big hug x
He's still only young, would it be possible to make him wear something to protect his head, whilst you are working on a solution.

If there are no triggers, it can only be he suffers from pain or its behavioural, if pain can be ruled out, then its behavioural, in which case you will have to alter his direction to something else, like I have had to do in most of Karen's life.

Please keep in touch, you don't want to put up with this, and its got to be you and you only to make the decisions and fight the social services and health services to giving you the best support on this.

Keep in touch and take care xxx