[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Supported Living - Carers UK Forum

Supported Living

For issues specific to autism / Asperger Syndrome.
Hi
Would appreciate some advice from those who have walked this path before...
Just started to look for my oldest son who is autistic.
Is it best to stick to housing associations or should I look at private landlord too.
It's all a bit thin on the ground as it is.
Then theres the LHA . What if it doesn't cover it all?,
It's all so confusing!
I was up half the night researching and I'm still no clearer in my mind. I have heard theres a dhp for people who still cant pay the full rent...has anyone managed to get this long - term.
Hi Cloudygirl.

Then there's the LHA . What if it doesn't cover it all ?

My territory ... a whole thread on the theme of Housing Allowance and Housing Benefit :

https://www.carersuk.org/forum/support ... hilit=roof

MIND THE GAP ?

A section which explains the problem :

LOCAL HOUSING ALLOWANCE ( LHA ) / HOUSING BENEFIT ( HB ) ... a brief explanation of each to set the scene :

SHELTER

What is local housing allowance (LHA) ?

Local housing allowance (LHA) is used to work out how much housing benefit you can get if you rent your home from a private landlord.

If you rent from a council or housing association or have a shared ownership home, different rules are used to calculate your housing benefit.

LHA has many of the same rules as housing benefit, but there are some extra rules that limit the amount of help you can get for a private rented home.

LHA is usually paid direct to you rather than to your landlord.

( LHA online calculator for the curious amongst you ... try it on your manor ... then have a look at what's available to let :

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx

The results will surprise ... even shock ... you ! )

SHELTER

What is housing benefit?

Housing benefit is a regular council payment to help pay your rent. You may be eligible for housing benefit if you are on a low income or claiming benefits.

What housing benefit pays for

Housing benefit helps pay for rent and some types of service charges.

It doesn't help with water charges, care or support costs or most heating charges.

Housing benefit doesn't cover mortgage payments.

Who can claim housing benefit

Housing benefit is for people who rent their homes or who part-rent through shared ownership.

You must be on a low income or claiming benefits. Your savings must be below £16,000, unless you are getting pension credit (guarantee credit part).

You or your partner can claim housing benefit. It doesn't matter which of you is named on the tenancy agreement.

You may not be able to claim if you pay rent to a family member.

The problem ?

LHA has been frozen by the Government ... demand for housing constantly exceeds supplies ... rents are rising almost nationwide ... the GAP between LHA and the current rental levels has grown ... in some areas exploded ... leaving many millions of low earners needing to find monies , many for the first time , to keep a roof over their heads.

( Out of curiosity , how big is the gap on your manor ... say a one bedroomed flat ( B.t.l. ) ... likely rent less Housing Allowance ... that calculator ?
My manor , Worksop ... average figures ... £ 325 less £ 245 ... a gap of £ 80 per month. )

Others will be along to add their insights , and advise on the other matters mentioned in your post.
Hi Chris

Thank you for that link.

The gap is sufficiently large for me to be working out whether my son can afford to have enough money for food each month!

I had the mistaken belief a couple of weeks ago that my sons in supported living would give me peace of mind...not necessarily I realise...especially if we find one that has a private landlord!

Nothing is simple is it!

Or easy
Your welcome and :

On many manors , that gap , in reality , is now a chasm !

No wonder that ROOF is one member of our Unholy Trinity ... FOOD and HEAT being the other two.

NHS on the basics of " Supported living " :

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-ca ... -services/

A couple of regular contributors are far better placed to advise you of the pros and cons of that.
Make contact with your local Mencap branch. They provided supported accommodation in some areas. I sure they could point you in the right direction.
Sunnydispostion

I will thank you.

I think what I am finding is that a lot of places are full...perhaps leaving the more expensive places!
Chris,

Thank you for that last link..that's really helpful hadn't seen that one!
I should start charging for links ?

I'm pleased to see a post code checker to identify local sources in that one.

If any of interest are not the b.t.l. variety , the LHA will be slightly different.

Shout if you need more info on those ... and I will investigate.
Thank you Chris..will do!

If anyone has any experiences of whether their son or daughter went into supported living that was either housing association, or private landlord would appreciate it!

Sometimes, the mental load of having to work it out is just too much.

Fell asleep on sofa last night, woke up at 2pm and unusually for me went to bed dressed so I didn't wake myself further!
If anyone has any experiences of whether their son or daughter went into supported living that was either housing association, or private landlord would appreciate it!

An academic heavyweight to keep you occupied until the cavalry arrive ?

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 16.1253051

Conundrums of supported living : The experiences of people with intellectual disability.

Where's that bugle ?