Last college day!!

For issues specific to autism / Asperger Syndrome.
Yes, I hope so. There are people with Asperger's in most workplaces: my younger brother for example is a late life diagnosed Aspie, and works as a University lecturer. Computer programming, what else! Not bad for a guy who only managed a pass degree in electronics.
Hi guys hope you are all well!! Just a quick update on Sam...he has completed his A levels now with good results ...sadly college have been less than helpful and I have been completely disheartened at times which of course does not do my depression any good...but hey I know im not the only one!! I got in touch (rather warily) with our local Jobcentre...finally when we got to get an appointment and see someone they couldnt be more helpful...probably due to the Disability Support Advisor who herself is a mum of a child with Aspergers and the same age as Sam!!!!!

We are now working together to find hopefully an Apprenticship programme that will accept him etc...so Im feeling much more positive about it now!!

I know the Jobcentre as a whole gets a bad press but personally im glad we are now able to access the help we need...!!

However of course I realise there is a long way to go yet and we should not have to feel that we have to "fight" for the rights of our children etc so will keep you updated!!

Good luck to all of us in the same position...Im here for a natter or whinge!!!

Caz
Hi,

Don't know if this is at all relevant http://www.aspire-sheffield.co.uk, just in case you weren't aware of it. Might be a starting place at least.

Melly1
Thank you...my details need updating however and I am now in Grimsby sadly and no longer Sheffield..x
Well Sam is suited and booted today for an interview for an Apprenticeship in IT/Media etc...so very proud whether he is successful or not....its the way forward and hes learning so many things...been helped with a lovely lady from the Jobcentre...I know they get bad press at times but I have nothing but praise for her although it probably helps that she has a son with Aspergers of the same age lol...good luck to my amazing boy!!! :D
Good luck Sam! :D
Cazbrook wrote:Well Sam is suited and booted today for an interview for an Apprenticeship in IT/Media etc...so very proud whether he is successful or not....its the way forward and hes learning so many things...been helped with a lovely lady from the Jobcentre...I know they get bad press at times but I have nothing but praise for her although it probably helps that she has a son with Aspergers of the same age lol...good luck to my amazing boy!!! :D
How did the interview go and how is Sam getting on now?

Gilli