[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bedrooms - Carers UK Forum

Bedrooms

For issues specific to autism / Asperger Syndrome.
My eldest has learning disability and aspergers, yesterday i cleaned her room, litterally everything on the bed and a"good" sort out. She will not throw anything out, sweet wrappers, newspapers, even a bit of curly gift ribbon off a pressie "i need that", my gal is messy and she stacks things, i got quite a lot of recycling done paperwise and also found £40 in envolpes and hidden in files. I do tell her that i will be cleaning, she's not happy Image ....and yesterday was not a happy bunny but towards the end of the night settled down. But its got to be done for health and safety( my gals health.. my safety Image )....is your loved one a stacker and knows where everything is, like my gal.... or a neat and tidy person, she still amazes me how she works things out in life and spots allsorts even the tiny things Image......mand
I have two boys and although they are both on the spectrum they are chalk and cheese in absolutely everything Image

Son No 1is AS and ADD and his bedroom is 'after the earthquake' state - can't even see the carpet, but he knows where everything is

Son No 2 is ASD and has a very tidy well-organised room, but can never find things as if they aren't where he expects them to be he doesn't make any attempt to look anywhere else Image

They used to share a bedroom but neither one could cope so had to separate them for the sake of my sanity Image Image
We have a 16 year old (aspergers) who has gone from one extreme to the other, used to be very tidy and organised and now is very messy and blames everyone else if he can't find anything, but goes nuts if things get moved.
Hmmm, not sure, but my son who is now nearly 35 has gone from being a very messy and untidy, clumsy child to a 'Parent' who now knows that these cleaning and tidying things need to be done to keep his children safe and well Image
Ben is 25 and has Downs Syndrome. He is very messy, but he knows where everything is in his room.
We had a clearout a couple of weeks ago, and he did not want to get rid of anything. I had to find a reason to give him to throw things out. (he didn't mind if anything was headed for a charity shop, he just hates throwing stuff out for the rubbish).
Son No 2 will only allow clear-outs if he knows his stuff is going to the charity shop too.
In fact he insists on taking it there himself just to make sure!!

I don't think he trusts me Image

Son No 1 doesn't allow clear-outs at all
I had taken my gals clothes to the local charity shop......a few weeks ago she was at the same shop with her auntie, she was pleased with her purchase, she took it out of her bag to show me Image .........only a flamin scarf i took there the month before Image Image Image Image Image .......she cracks me up.....my niece and i were howling laughing Image
Awwwwww Mand Image Image Image
We need a 4 bedroom property even though it is just me and my 3 boys. The reason: 2 out of my 3 boys have Autistic Spectrum Disorders (one of which also has ADHD). We have tried living in a 3 bedroom house. It does not work. They don't leave the other person's things alone, they won't let him sleep, etc and if put in together then they play loudly all night (or at least until 4am as we gave up at that point- thankfully we were renting a detached house at the time). My oldest son had to sleep somewhere other than his bedroom as he had to share with one of the twins and my bedroom was being used to keep everything out of the way of the kids that needed keeping out of their way (so was out of bounds to the kids). He now has a lot of stuff that needs to be kept out of his little brother's way and needs somewhere to do homework. My stuff would have to go in his room and I would have to have the loung/living room as my bedroom. But that would mean my 11 year old twins would use my bed as a trampoline which would wreck the matress I need for my bad back as well as being dangerous. They have managed to wreck the sofa that way. The lack of sleep from the pain would mean I'd be likely to crash the car. That is what the government want as they want to charge us for any extra bedrooms even if needed for someone's disability unless they are in officially disability adapted accomodation by reducing our housing benefit to whatever the amount is for a property of the size you officially need- 3 bedrooms in our case as it does not allow for disability (or it didn't when we were applying for Housing through the council about 5 years ago).
This made me Image My daughter is 8 she has Aspergers ADHD and loads more, she is a terrible hoarder pieces of paper that have been cut up/shredded, bits of material, clothes that don't fit pretty much anything and she stashes them (we call her Squirrel) She loves bags and has tons of them which she uses to put her things in then hides the bag and forgets where Image My earliest memory was going into her room and it stunk after much searching we found a bag with a lump of moldy cheese in. Jazz used to come home from school and when she took her shoes off they would be full of things she had found stones, coins, blue-tack, bits of her lunch, pencils pretty much anything!
I have given up trying to sort her room while she is home as it is impossible as everything is so important to her Image And I always avoid jumble sales e.c.t because I know we end up with more than I donate. I got my partner to put up 3 of the canvas shoe holders on her wall as the pockets are small (she is obsessed with miniature things) and just perfect for her 'treasures' also I don't have to hunt very far for things.