[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Income Support/Carers Allowance/Housing Benefit/CONFUSION - Carers UK Forum

Income Support/Carers Allowance/Housing Benefit/CONFUSION

For issues specific to autism / Asperger Syndrome.
Hello,

I'm hoping someone, anyone can help me out here.

I have an 11 year old son with ASD.

I was recently told to apply for DLA for him as his needs will, and have, changed recently as he's about to go to High School.

I was receiving IS as I gave up work to care for him when he started Primary School as he was struggling, having melt downs and generally not settling well, my work was very sympathetic, but the long term commitment to both wasn't going to work and my sons needs won out, like there was any other winner in the end!

Anyway, there I was on IS with a ASD child and a baby moving along in a support role happily managing, then the goal post moved.

As my daughter is now 6 we were told my claim for IS was ending and I'd have to go onto JSA and be available for work.

I called the helpline here and was told to claim DLA for my son, which I did and received higher care and lower mobility rates for.

I was then told by the Job Centre Plus to claim Carers Allowance which I have.

Today I received a letter telling me I was having my IS cut to cover the CA I'm now receiving.

All fine so far, but then the confusion is here, do I now have to pay rent on my home, I'm receiving Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, but it now seems I have to pay at least something towards these now....

It's all very confusing, the JC+ people have no idea, the Council people have no idea and I have even less idea! Do any of you know what happens next?

Thanks!
Sorry no idea, go back to the helpline would be my suggestion.

Melly1
I recieve carers allowance which is deducted from my allocation of income support, they then add on a carer premium to the income support. I believe you can still claim hb ect with carers allowance but mine is based upon my income support claim, no matter how minimal it shows that your income is supplemented at a level that needs rent support. You should not in my understanding be placed on js as a carer because you cannot seek work.

Middle rate dla and higher for care is the passport for carers allowance.
As long as you're still receiving Income Support you receive the full rate of Housing Benefit, etc. Even if the IS is only a penny a week.
like some 1 else has said, when you claim income support and carers allowance together, your income support in reduced to allowance to the carers allowance but you do receive a top rate as a carer. You are still entitle to income support so would be entitled to the full rate of housing benefit (depending on your local housing allowance rates) and council tax benefit.
Be aware for the new bedroom tax from April 2013.for people in housing association and council properties. Any bedrooms you have spare will reduce your HB by 14% for the first room and 25% of your rent for 2 or more spare.
Hi.Im confused too,im on joint esa claim with partner in main phrase and the support group.I have just been awarded carers £58 per week which has been deducted from esa but £32 carer premium as been added,do i have to pay rent etc
Hi home247. A lot depends on your circumstances so it's always best to get advice from your local CAB, carers project, or from the helpline - information about the helpline is here:
http://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice ... dvice-line
Hello,

I'm hoping someone, anyone can help me out here.

I have an 11 year old son with ASD.

I was recently told to apply for DLA for him as his needs will, and have, changed recently as he's about to go to High School.

I was receiving IS as I gave up work to care for him when he started Primary School as he was struggling, having melt downs and generally not settling well, my work was very sympathetic, but the long term commitment to both wasn't going to work and my sons needs won out, like there was any other winner in the end!

Anyway, there I was on IS with a ASD child and a baby moving along in a support role happily managing, then the goal post moved.

As my daughter is now 6 we were told my claim for IS was ending and I'd have to go onto JSA and be available for work.

I called the helpline here and was told to claim DLA for my son, which I did and received higher care and lower mobility rates for.

I was then told by the Job Centre Plus to claim Carers Allowance which I have.

Today I received a letter telling me I was having my IS cut to cover the CA I'm now receiving.

All fine so far, but then the confusion is here, do I now have to pay rent on my home, I'm receiving Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, but it now seems I have to pay at least something towards these now....

It's all very confusing, the JC+ people have no idea, the Council people have no idea and I have even less idea! Do any of you know what happens next?

Thanks!
What council tax benefit you are entitled to will shortly be decided solely by your local council and not by any national arrangement.
like some 1 else has said, when you claim income support and carers allowance together, your income support in reduced to allowance to the carers allowance but you do receive a top rate as a carer. You are still entitle to income support so would be entitled to the full rate of housing benefit (depending on your local housing allowance rates) and council tax benefit.
Where I am living we have narrowly escaped a situation where everyone regardless of income would have to pay at least 10% of their council tax benefit in the new local arrangement system which includes less money to cover council ta benefits from central government.