Daughter diagnosed with ASD today

For issues specific to autism / Asperger Syndrome.
Not surprised as we've always had our suspicions but DD has been diagnosed as being on Autistic Spectrum today. It's taken long enough .... She's 32!!

Just been to library and got copy of first book on the subject I picked up .... A Beginners Guide to ASD.

We have had SO many problems over the years and these last few months have been unbearable.
Hi Penny,

How do you feel yourself about your daughter's diagnosis? Women and girls can be more difficult to diagnose with ASD than men. I have a daughter with Asperger Syndrome who was in her early twenties when diagnosed, which is still quite late. Her two brothers are also on the spectrum, having been diagnosed in their teens. She was just happy to know a reason for her behaviour and her problems.

I hope you get all the support you need at this time.

Gilli
Curious as to your DD's reaction to diagnosis, it must surely had been one of huge relief as it is horrible to go through your life feeling like something is "slightly off" but not being able to put your finger on it

I think it gets harder to pick up on as you get older especially if you fall under the high functioning category (minimal impact on day to day life) because theres a tendency to develop your own coping mechanisms to deal with sensory issues and masking skills (has been suggested females achieve the latter better than male cases)

I was diagnosed fairly late as well and that was more accidental than anything, but I'm grateful for just knowing whats what, because if I had actually gone through my gp for a referral for the purpose of a clinical psychiatrist for that particular matter I would had been fobbed off.

Didn't get picked up earlier because I did not display much in terms of behavioural issues (some fighting, but never instigating/making trouble), and very hectic upbringing (illness within the family being a constant thing) meant I was left to my own inventions even if I came off as slightly withdrawn or a bit socially awkward, which could be put down to simple shyness as opposed to lack of social imagination and I excelled academically despite a pretty bad school so there was no real cause of concern at home.

Hope you get the support you need as a family DD just needs to remember to focus on the positives (plentiful)... the diagnosis will be a major weight off shoulders
thanks both! She's been really low for a couple of months and troublesome. She has dyslexia and learning difficulties so it's never been easy anyway for her or us. She is also very petite so a lot of people think she's about 15!!

I have today been recommended to ask the GP for SSRI for her. anybody know anything about this? Apparently serotonin levels are low in people with ASD. I am just waiting for surgery to ring me back with appointment.
you might want to give lego therapy a shot. Autism can be counteracted using lego therapy if you havent already know. Also check out http://www.legotherapy.net where it contains everything you need to know about lego therapy.
david_1512 wrote:you might want to give lego therapy a shot. Autism can be counteracted using lego therapy if you havent already know. Also check out http://www.legotherapy.net where it contains everything you need to know about lego therapy.
Thank you David but I've just read through and it seems it's something to be done In a group to encourage interaction and communication and she isn't part of any group. unless I'm not understanding it properly. thanks though.