Update on my Son

For issues specific to autism / Asperger Syndrome.
Gilli

Update on my Son

Postby Gilli » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:24 pm

The support worker was able to meet with the employer's wife, who is quite involved in the business. She said that M's productivity had dropped since he first started and the support worker has told M that he needs to try and go a bit faster and not let himself get distracted. She did say to me that it wasn't very helpful for the workers to tell him to hurry up. He says he finds it distracting when someone tells him to do something when he's already working on something for someone else. It's just something that needs to be worked on. I have also tried to tell him to try and move a bit faster and that the business needs a certain number of things done over the course of a day and I think he is beginning to understand that. Another thing that has happened is that the support worker was able to persuade the employer's wife to reduce M's hours, so that has been good.

Gillian

Colin_1705

Re: Update on my Son

Postby Colin_1705 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:50 am

Never mind the speed what about the Quality.

The quality and precision of his work may be better than those who go quicker perhaps?

bowlingbun

Postby bowlingbun » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:02 am

Do they tell him in advance what needs doing? Does he have his own jobs, or do they chop and change the work he has to do a lot?
Information is Power!!!

Gilli

Postby Gilli » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi Colin and Bowling Bun,

Sorry for not replying sooner.

There is probably some truth in what you suggest, Colin. M is thorough in his work, but the other workers and his employer are more interested in getting the work done speedily. When he tries to work faster, he becomes flustered and then he can't do the task in hand at all.

BB, M is given tasks to do at the beginning of each day and is not supposed to be given any new tasks after a certain time. When people ask him to give them a hand with something or even take someone's shopping out to the car, he regards this as a new job and doesn't like it. Also, one of his regular jobs is to clean the mincer, but he has to wait until the other workers have finished using it, which often is close to his finishing time, which makes him late finishing and he doesn't like that either.

M was sent home early from work last Friday because he had mixed some leeks in with some sausage meat without being asked and it turned out they weren't meant to go in there at all. His employer was raging. I think he might have sent M home before he did him an injury. People at work thought I would also be raging with him, but I wasn't, I just told him he would have been better asking first, and took him out to Costa for a Frappucino (sp?)

Gilli

MrsAverage

Postby MrsAverage » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi Gilli
Have you thought about trying to find a different job for your son? It does sound as though this one isn't right for him and a less pressured environment might be better? Just a thought
Kr
MrsA

Return to “Autism / Asperger Syndrome”