Ongoing situation

For issues specific to autism / Asperger Syndrome.
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:35 pm

Ongoing situation

Postby Janet_1601 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:58 pm


I have posted here before and received some excellent advice. My son (nearly 18) was discharged home despite advice and recommendations from CAMHS, a forensic psychological report and against his wishes. He was working towards living with a carer under the Shared Lives scheme, but this fell through because Shared Lives felt he was too high a risk. We are now considering a group home close to us and my son has been to visit. However, our social worker has just told me that the managers do not know whether the home will be suitable and/or whether my son will fit in with the other clients (who are considerably more disabled than he is).

My son cannot live on his own and he wants the company of other people. The situation at home is not good and both my sons are on Child Protection Plans.

My son sleeps downstairs on the sofa and has no private space (which is important to him) and my younger son (nearly 16) has issues with control that are challenging. I have no faith that adequate care will be found for my eldest so tomorrow I intend going to the council offices and seeing if we can apply for a three bedroomed house, so that my eldest can at least have his own room. Yet, this would mean the constant supervision of the boys will have to continue. Furthermore, I do not know how I will afford a move to another property.

Has anyone any ideas how I can resolve this situation?


Posts: 1067
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:10 am

Re: Ongoing situation

Postby MrsAverage » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:13 pm

Try the Youngmjnd helpline
They are much more knowledgeable in this area. They can get busy so keep trying

Depending on what is in the Child Protection plans I'd be inclined to keep raising any safeguarding issues with SS if you feel any of your children covered by them are at any risk

Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 am
Location: Wales

Re: Ongoing situation

Postby colin_1703 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Look up the name and phone number of your local councillor, and ask him or her to accompany you to the meeting with Social services.

Return to “Autism / Asperger Syndrome”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest