I get tired of hearing the trite phrase "Health and Safety" used as a subterfuge for all manner of tenuous agenda, thereby precluding common sense. I believe even organisations like RoSPA deprecate this common usage.

And yet, trying to see all sides, visitors reluctant to take off their shoes may have a point. I must admit I do not feel confident walking indoors wearing socks only. I feel more likely to slip and I am nervous about stepping on something sharp. If there is any lifting to be done, I definitely want some firm footwear.

Of course there is good sense in changing footwear when coming indoors. It all helps with keeping carpets cleaner. Prevention is better than cure. So there are solutions. Slippers, overshoes or a separate pair of shoes for indoor use only - all these are possibilities which regular visigtors to many homes can consider. Even householders have some spare slippers to offer to visitors, though be not too particular about shoe size.

On the other hand, not all householders agree with the idea of visitors taking off their shoes. Some see it as exalting material things above personal welfare - hence unwelcoming.

In our household we wear slippers indoors, but don't fuss too much about visitors taking off their shoes providing they wipe their feet.