[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Read Any Good Books Lately? - Page 10 - Carers UK Forum

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Please feel free to join in or start any games.
116 posts
I like short stories at night.Currently on third volume of Somerset Maugham.Usually ready to sleep each time i finish a story.
I'm currently half way through a great book called Rhamin by Bryce Thomas about a wolf pack.

Its from the library I put a request in and they bought it so its brand new and smells great Image

(Sorry I have to confess I'm a book sniffer Image Image )
Mine's a reference book, does that count? Its "OPEN BRITAIN 2011" , described as "The definitive travel guide to Accessible Britain" and I asked my Library to buy a copy, which they did on payment of £1 (!) The book is apparently backed by RADAR, Tourism for All UK, and Visit Britain, and also carries AA, BT and shopmobility logos. It even has an introduction by Maria Miller, MP..

My reason for the library request was that I have been asked to help one of the Scottish Access panels with some access auditing, something I enjoy doing from time to time and helps pay the bills, and so was interested in finding out how useful this guide would be.

Unfortunately it only dedicates pages 271 - 297 to Scotland, and annoyed me by starting with the header: "Small Country, Big Heart" . Small? Well, not exactly, Scotland is vast, with one of the longest coastlines in Europe, as well as nearly all of Britain's finest unspoiled wilderness areas, best beaches, thousands of islands, and our second biggest UK town centre for shopping (Glasgow, not Edinburgh, in case you wondered!!)

Apart from the usual guffy introduction about sparkling waterfalls, whisky, deer and shady glens, the rest of the pages mainly consist of a very self-selecting list of a number of hotels, caravan sites and attractions. Glad I got it through the library: pay £9.99 for 400 pages of adverts? Not good value, a real waste of space on any bookshelf.

Anyway, it does have some useful reference information, but not much you couldnt find on Google or Wikipedia, to be honest. And I couldnt help but feel that this guide was a very thinly disguised commercial "Where to stay" directory of paid-entry hotels and tourist traps, rather than a genuinely independent guide for disabled travellers. Some properties have been visited and inspected, but most have been self-assessed.

Most importantly, the http://www.openbritain.net website and full database will hopefully be open for serious business in future. At the moment, if you search for hotels in (say) the Western Isles, only one establishment comes up, and this is clearly inadequate. If there is a future for publications like this, it is surely either online, or as a series of regional guides, rather than one very limited publication which promises so much, but delivers so little.

Curiously enough, the editors may agree: apparently in future the annual guide will be replaced with a monthly magazine format.

Re:

in China, (near Bejing) QiGong practitioners
(trained in energy-consciousness) DISSOLVED a Chinese woman's tumour with
their highly focused minds. In one session, it grew smaller then vanished. It took place at the Hospital of No Medicine. In China they have a very different attitude to health..
They certainly do! Which is why they eat tigers penises and rhino-horn to aid their fertility. Not so smart.
Booksey, the book you are reading is part of a trilogy.I have two of them on my booksehelves, but haven't read them yet as they are the second and third,and I would prefer to read them in order.
Booksey, the book you are reading is part of a trilogy.I have two of them on my booksehelves, but haven't read them yet as they are the second and third,and I would prefer to read them in order.
You mean Rhamin? I thought only the first one had been released.
Bertiebear and Booksey Image Image Image

Looked on my shelf. Yes, just Rhamin there. the two that I was thinking of are by another author. We had two male authors in two weeks in our WH Smith, and it is the other author that has written a trilogy of which I have two!
I don't usually go to book signings, just happened to be in town,and both authors were really nice people.
Now I think I need to go and read them, they have all been on my shelf long enough. (Will let you know the name of the other trilogy and author when I have had another look. I have forgoten his name!)
LazyD it was a great book I really enjoyed it. I love meeting authors although they never look how I have imagined them Image
Took my daughter to Edinburgh to get her Potter books signed by JK Rowling in person. She looked much as I expected: i.e. fed up signing books for kids. But then she has £500M and I have a mere few pennies, so I guess it didnt traumatise her. Anyone want a signed first edition Harry Potter 1,2 and 3, hardback?
I hope you are all still talking about books...
Life of Pi
We Need to Talk About Kevin
Q&A
Crime thrillers by Tess Gerritsen
Pigeon English...

I could go on
116 posts