[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Read Any Good Books Lately? - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Please feel free to join in or start any games.
116 posts
HEAT WAVE!!

(A true Muppet Christmas Carol fan will understand)
I had a beautifully bound copy of Anne Franks Diary for christmas, though I've read the book many times before it never fails to move me to tears.
Deborah, No, I haven't read any Sarah Waters, although I recognise the name, so must have picked her books up and thought about buying one!

A few years ago,Rhys wanted to read"Lord of the Flies",a book I hate,and I knew he wouldn't like it,but he was determined, so I bought it for him that Christmas.He read it, and then told me I was right, and he would never read it again.
Bill Bryson's always good. I've not read a lot of travel writing, but he makes the simplest things hilarious. In some of his more scientific / historic books he makes complicated things simple.
HEAT WAVE!!

(A true Muppet Christmas Carol fan will understand)
this is my island in the sun...
Just about finished "Whatever Happened to Peggy Sue". Memoirs by Buddy Holly's Peggy Sue Gerron, about her life with the Crickets in 1957 to 1960. A very good read and a real eye opener to how the music industry worked back then.
Just finished Paul O'Grady's 'The Devil Rides Out' (even funnier that 'At My Mother's Knee').

I didn't know that he had worked with disabled children and children with learning difficulties and also worked as a foster Care Assistant - but it goes a long way to explaining his obvious rapport with children.

On a totally different tack - I'm about to start Terry Pratchett's latest Discworld novel - 'I shall Wear Midnight'. I believe his first published since he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
I have just finished Jodi Picoult's "Harvesting the Heart."A bit disappointing, I thought.
In the middle of another book of accounts of WWI experiences by veterans, including tank crews, nurses, stretcher bearers, doctors, relatives at home, train drivers, horse riders, dog handlers, pigeon handlers, camel handlers, naval crew, air crew and so on. It's split into different sections according to the jobs men and women were recruited or volunteered to do. I didn't know that so many of the nurses and helpers were actually (so called) well-to-do women who volunteered to go to France and Belgium.
I can't put this book down, photographs and all. A no holds barred book, with photographs of things and men which aren't very nice and no editing of the veterans' accounts either.

Sometimes, for a bit of light relief I tuck into one of the Sharpe novels. Watched all the TV series, but never read any of the books (daughter's boyfriend lent me all of his). Hmmm, Sharpe is my light reading material!

My next book is about the parts which animals played in WWI, dogs, pigeons, camels, horses, elephants, donkeys, how they were trained to do what they did, how they were transported over, how they were looked after and all that. So, so interesting this event.

I like autobiographies too. Lorraine Kelly's accounts of her early life in the Glasgow tenements was really intriguing.
My next read is the Autobiograpy(?) about Johnson Beharry VC. "Barefoot Soldier".The soldier in Dancing on Ice. He saved his crew by driving them out of trouble with his head blown open! The only living soldier to earn the Victoria Cross I believe.
I've had the book for over a year now, but never got around to reading it.
116 posts