[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 585: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/phpbb/session.php on line 641: sizeof(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Brexit ... Or The Hokey Cokey ? A Contuing Pantomine Which Is NOT Funny , Possibly Toxic To Many ! - Page 3 - Carers UK Forum

Brexit ... Or The Hokey Cokey ? A Contuing Pantomine Which Is NOT Funny , Possibly Toxic To Many !

Please feel free to join in or start any games.
Theresa May will not be flying to Brussels in Spitfire, BBC clarifies.

Corporation blames human error for suggestion caused by misplaced footage on News at Six.

At the end of Wednesday’s evening programme viewers were shown black and white footage of the iconic planes as newsreader Sophie Raworth summarised the prime minister’s plan to reopen Brexit talks with EU leaders.

As the footage of the planes was played, Raworth read: “Theresa May says she intends to go back to Brussels to negotiate her Brexit deal but EU leaders say the deal is done and they will not reopen talks.”

Fake news or ... " What a shame ! Would have shown those Johnny Foreigners ... eh Rees , Boris ? "

Even if she did , no ammunition ... " It's the cutbacks you know ! "

#############################################################################

Brexit : " Extra time " may be needed !

Bring on the expert in this field as Chief Negotiator !!!

FERGIE TIME !!!
Oh dear , not that old chesnut again :

UK objects to description of Gibraltar as " British colony " in EU law.

A UK government spokesperson said: "The EU's provisions for visa-free travel into and out of the [passport-free] Schengen area cover Gibraltar, and mean that in any scenario, British nationals from Gibraltar will be able to travel for short stays in and out of Spain and other countries in the Schengen area.

"Gibraltar is not a colony and it is completely inappropriate to describe it in this way.

"Gibraltar is a full part of the UK family and has a mature and modern constitutional relationship with the UK.

"This will not change due to our exit from the EU. All parties should respect the people of Gibraltar's democratic wish to be British."

Downing Street also condemned the description of Gibraltar as a "colony" in the draft EU document.

Don't frightened some of our fellow countrymen ?

Their salted away billions will be off to ... the British Virgin Islands ... or some other rock a British sailor was marooned on centuries ago ... even the Isle of Wight ?

Some like to visit Gib ... just to count their money ... and pick up some of those duty frees on offer !

Local cuisine a must ... barbary ape burger ... with fries ?... of course ... English chips , not those French tooth picks !
To CFTG
This is not a platform for you to state your political views about 'Brexit', I note that your 'chart' (being polite) gives zero mention about anything Carer related at all. You have simply utilised the forum to sound off and as usual have not a lot to say about anyone else's ideas except yours and definitely not a lot about the realities of CARING
This Forum is for Carers ..of which I am one..... It's about those of us that actually look after someone...it's a place we can rant and rave about the system and how hard it is to make ends meet, get the care that is necessary for those we care for and try to change the way Carers and the Cared for are treated and most of all get a little support from people in a similar position with more experience.
That excludes anyone who uses the Forum for their own political ends and that includes YOU.
As this is the FUN AND GAMES section . and cetainly no political bias beyond exposing our chosen politicians' ineptitude
to carry out the " Will of the people " , fully justified ... said same politicians will decide OUR fate in due course.

After all , turn on the television to see the news / read a newspaper ... hardly anything else making the front page ... Brexit.

There are other important issues out there for all carers ....AND NO THANKS TO BREXIT , THESE ISSUES HAVE BEEN CONSIGNED
TO THE " TO DO " PILE.

Austerity / housing / the daily struggle to balance eating , heating and keeping a roof over their head / health of the caree where the only option maybe a care home / the forthcoming Green paper on Social Care ... ALL now relegated to side issues.

As for me , a trawl through my postings ... excluding the NEWS section ... will reveal my contribution to carers as will the creation of the CHC / NHS Continuing Healthcare thread.

Then judge my contribution on what you find ... not many come close ?

Just to add ... during my time as a lone , 24 / 7 , carer ... helped setup two " Carer Flag Schemes " in two gp surgeries in two
different areas / setup a mutual aid local carers group / helped get CarerWatch of the ground and , through us , the Plight of family / kinship carers into the political arena for the very first time / work on this forum since 2016.

Fresh off the presses , now providing a rudimentary information service in conjuncton with my local foodbank for all their clients who need information not freely available.

Not bad for a former carer ... 11 years in the past ... and now a senior citizen ... returning to help out the carers of 2019 ?

I like to think that would be a fitting epitaph should I depart this world in the near future.

Perhaps a trip into the CarerWatch site will also reveal my contribution to all that went on prior to the last Carers Strategy might
also be in order ?

As for " Political " views , little perplexed ... if voicing the concerns of half the carer army living below / at / close to the Official
Poverty Line ... some 3.7+ MILLION of our fellow carers ... is considered political ... I plead guilty as charged ... with great pleasure.
Brit ExPat ?

A view from the Costa del Sol ... not much " Fun " in this one :

Fear and anger stalk thousands of Britons living on Costa del Sol.

For 300,000 UK citizens in Spain, which does not allow dual citizenship, pension and healthcare worries are hard to resolve.

A couple of years ago, Michael Soffe seemed to have a charmed life. A gourmet tour guide and wedding planner, he’d made a home and built a business in sun-soaked Málaga, the increasingly hip city at the heart of Spain’s southern coast.

Now he fears that everything he’s worked for is hanging in the balance as heedless politicians push Brexit negotiations to the brink. His biggest worry is that his partner, a two-time cancer survivor still in treatment, could lose his right to public healthcare.

“We are petrified that will be taken away,” Soffe said. “There is not a single insurance company that will touch him.”

There is also his pension. Having spent more than 30 years living in Spain, the savings that he was relying on to retire in a few years’ time would be much reduced if EU agreements to share welfare credits earned in different countries were abandoned, he said.

His business, at least, should be resilient, Soffe said, as he tried to escape the long shadow cast by Brexit at an anniversary celebration in one of Málaga’s most garlanded tapas bars, KGB. “We don’t rely too much on British visitors, thankfully.”

Pension and healthcare worries loom large among British immigrants in Spain, particularly those clustered on the coast. The cliche of Costa del Sol life is played out in many small settlements where older Britons enjoy a sun-filled version of retirement in seaside towns, with breakfast menus featuring fry-ups instead of tortillas, and no Spanish required.

But they are actually a minority of nearly 300,000 UK citizens formally registered to live in Spain. Two-thirds of that group are working, said John Moffett, vice-chair of the campaign group Bremain in Spain, which is pushing to protect their rights.

They face a tangle of questions, not just about Britons’ right to live and work in Spain and other EU countries, but their entitlement to benefits, and whether their qualifications will still be recognised. For those with children, there is the question of what the long-term prospects might be for young people.

Many of those grappling with the implications of Brexit say they feel their concerns have been forgotten by politicians, and their lives used as political pawns.

“I’ve never been a good sleeper, and I now have the radio on all night. I’m waking up in the early hours, putting the lights on, getting my glasses on so I can check if there is any news on Brexit,” said Alison Curtis, who has been living in Spain for three years.

She has a daughter and grandchildren living there, too, and never wants to return to Britain. But, as a cancer survivor, she feels she can’t stay on without guaranteed medical care. “I would definitely have to go back if I can’t get healthcare, as my situation is not going to get better.”

Large numbers of Britons in countries including Germany, France and Italy have swept away many of the questions about work, pensions and healthcare by applying for a new passport. But it is a more fraught option in Spain, because Madrid does not generally allow dual nationality. So, to become Spanish, people have to give up their British passports.

For many, that is a step too far. Valerie Lawrence is one of those who has decided to go ahead, “for purely emotional reasons”, and despite serious worries. “I don’t know if it’s a sensible idea, because I am dependent on UK healthcare and a pension,” she said. “Could these be withheld from foreigners in a post-Brexit future? We are all scared and paranoid now.”

Not everyone is so gloomy, though. Dilip Kuner, editor of the English-language free paper Euro Weekly News, based in Fuengirola, says anecdotal evidence suggests that the division in attitudes to Brexit along the Costa del Sol is not much different from back home in the UK.

“From our postbag, I’d say it’s pretty evenly split,” he said, speaking in the office of the paper, which runs a weekly page of Brexit news. “[The overall divide] was very much reflected here among the expat community, which I found surprising. I thought it would be very much more a Remain vibe.”

Robert Joseph Lewis has spent more than 15 years in Spain. He is still working because his pension doesn’t stretch far enough, so further cuts would bite. At nearly 70, he expects to need medical help in future and can’t imagine trying to move back. “There’s nothing in the UK for us,” he said.

But Lewis is a firm supporter of Brexit, angry that the process has been dragging on for two years and frustrated with Theresa May. “She’s not the right woman for the job, a Remainer trying to drag us out, its crazy.”

Like many others in the region, he is convinced that Britons in Spain bring too much financially to the country – and save the NHS too much in care costs – to force pensioners like him home. “It doesn’t worry me, there’s a lot of scaremongering. Just a lot of ‘what ifs’. There’s no way they will throw us out.”

Alan Stead, a 67-year-old from Halifax, is also fed up. “It’s project fear. I don’t believe any of it,” he said of warnings about a no-deal Brexit, as he finished a Spanish class at the Los Amigos bar and social club.

He owns a holiday home, and comes with his wife for just a few months a year in winter. Permanent residents dismiss visitors like the Steads as “swallows” with far less at stake, because their UK base means their healthcare and pension are safe. “For people like us, I don’t think anything is going to change at all,” he said. “If Spain expels all the British expats, the economy will tank.”

As at home, there are also people who have given up following the convoluted politics of Brexit. Sharon moved to Fuengirola eight months ago, deciding it was “now or never” to start a life in Spain, and bought the popular expat hangout Aidan’s Bar.

She relies on foreign customers, and EU rules that allow her to run the business. But efforts to implement the referendum are so chaotic, she isn’t even following them. “What will be, will be,” she said, on a patio overlooking a fountain. “I don’t think even [the politicians] know what they are doing, so how can we know where things are going?”
An interesting dilema IF it's the wrong flavour of Brexit ?

One family’s Brexit dilemma : ‘" I’ll fight to keep us together until the very last day. "

Scotswoman faces parting with disabled Belgian husband or abandoning daughter.

It is the worst kind of choice: does Patricia Goossens lose her Belgian husband and their family’s only guaranteed source of income, or does she abandon her home in Scotland and leave her autistic adult daughter behind?

Her husband, Frans, is disabled and receives invalidity benefit payments from the Belgian government after contracting peritonitis in 2006, a debilitating abdominal infection that left him in a coma. That whole income of about £200 a week will stop, the Belgian authorities have told them, if Britain leaves the EU without a deal on 30 March.

In theory, the couple could claim benefits in the UK – Patricia might be entitled to a carer’s allowance and Frans could potentially claim for a personal independence payment.

Yet Frans cannot apply for settled status until after Britain leaves the EU, on the day the Belgian government would stop paying his disability benefit. And there is no guarantee that the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) would assess him as disabled.

The uncertainty means that they will have to make a decision before Brexit day. If they leave, Patricia’s 34-year-old daughter Alice, who has Asperger’s, will stay behind because of the costs involved in arranging for a passport for her, Goossens said.

“I could stay put and lose my husband, who is disabled and needs me, and I love him and don’t want to be parted from him,” Patricia told the Observer. “But when I go with him, I lose my daughter, whom I also love and who also needs me.”

The couple met in 2007 when Patricia, who is a proud daughter of a Highlander – “a famous poacher”, she said – was still making a living as an animal hide tanner. They married in Ullapool in 2012, and Patricia gave up work to look after Frans and Alice at the family’s cottage in Balchrick, a tiny township on the tip of northwest Scotland, where salt winds from the Minch strait batter the coastline.

The idea that there might be any problem with Frans’s benefits only occurred to Patricia last year, and she contacted RIZIV, the Belgian government’s health and disability insurer that pays Frans his income.

An official from the Belgian federal public service for social security replied in November that when the UK became a third country “invalidity benefits can no longer be exported”.

“Your husband will therefore no longer receive any disability benefits from the Belgian social security system, based on current legislation,” the official wrote. “To continue to benefit from them, he would have to settle in Belgium or another member state of the European Union.”

Patricia contacted her local MSP and the Scottish government to ask for help, but since benefits payments are a national matter, they could only point her towards the DWP.

“Neither I nor my husband cost the UK government a penny,” Patricia said, adding that his medical needs are covered by European insurance from his Belgian disability benefit. “We have always been reluctant to apply to the DWP for Frans, purely because his disability is ‘on the inside’, if that makes sense.” A DWP spokesman said anyone in difficulty should call the helpline or visit their local Job Centre.

If Frans were to apply for benefits, he would need to prove that he was settled in the UK and could apply for settled status. To do that now, he would need to buy an Android phone or travel to Edinburgh, 250 miles away. After 30 March, the process will become easier and he could send his documents to the Home Office. But by that time, his Belgian income would have been cut off.

“We have no financial buffer,” Patricia said. “People in our situation cannot afford to wait it out. Optimism alone won’t pay our rent or feed or keep us warm, should the worst happen.”

Even if Frans did get settled status, there is no guarantee he would receive any UK disability benefit.

The couple are now drawing up plans to move to Belgium and stay with Frans’s relatives until they find something permanent, but taking Alice with them is not an option. She has no passport and an application may mean travelling more than 100 miles to Inverness for an interview and an overnight stay – something that is beyond their means.

Patricia said her landlord had been “fantastically kind” and had agreed to let Alice stay. They are trying to arrange housing benefit for her. “But she will be very isolated here. And though she is actually reclusive and needs a lot of solitude, she also needs her mum and stepdad, and I don’t know how she’ll cope for long without us. That’s one of our major worries. But I’ll fight to keep my family together and us in our home till the very last day.”
See you are still 'RAVING'. Why don't yo do something useful with your time that is directly carer related.
I come on here for some sanity not to be party to your particular dogma.
This dross is all we hear 24/7 and I doubt many will want to read it here. ABOUT TIME YOU WERE PULLED!!!!
One reason why this thread appears in the FUN AND GAMES section.

The very ineptitude of the current crop politicians ... the very same politicians that will be faced with that Green Paper in
the next few years.

THEY will be deciding on whatever is in that Green Paper ...said decisons will effect ALL 7.8 million ... some more than others.

As for " Assisting " carers , I 'll let other parts of the forum , and threads , do my talking.