Anne. I have just read your post re not receiving anything for caring for your husband. Do you know about Attendance Allowance? It's a tax free social security benefit that isn't means tested. This benefit could be claimed by your husband and would, I'm sure, be of good financial help to you both. X
Jillian, just to say that your post about your mum moved me to tears and I am so sorry for your loss. My Mum is 91 and I sometimes resent the 'drudgery' of caring every day, but I know when the time comes I will be as devastated as you are. Take care of yourself Jillian and may happy memories of you...
£2930.21!!!! That is the refund my mum has just received re "disregard of council tax" on the grounds that she is severely mentally impaired and was assessed as being so three years ago. So to anyone out there whose loved one has been diagnosed with dementia and is in receipt of Attendance Allowance...
Yes. Bowling bun I'm telling everyone I know!!!! My mum was diagnosed officially by a mental health team a few years,ago but I had no idea then of the 'disregard' re council tax otherwise I would have had her assessed a lot sooner! At the time it was her GP who said she needed diagnosing but it was ...
She has been receiving attendance allowance since 2010 and the higher rate for the last four years. Wish I'd known about the disregard for council tax years ago! To anyone out there whose relatives have dementia and are eligible for attendance allowance get in touch with the council tax department r...
Hi everyone. Its me again! GP visited my Mum at my request to assess her to see if she was now classified as severely mentally impaired with regard to possibly being able to be disregarded for council tax. In the course of his conversation with mum I brought up the fact that she wouldn't go into a c...
You are so right Jenny! My mother doesn't want to go into respite because she thinks i would leave her there permanently! I have tried telling her that the place she could go to does NOT take permanent residents and is a facility only used for short stays. She also says "why should i pay to go in so...
Thank you bowlibf bub for your reply . It's so good to know that there are other people 'out there' who have gone through the same worries, stresses and strains ! It seems never ending. At the end of the free six week package of care i have arranged for mum to have carers twice a day and will be bac...
Hello everyone. It's Joan here again. Not been on the site in quite a while. Still caring for Mum who is 91 today. Over the last twelve months we have managed to get away quite a bit but every time I still feel guilty. Mum still won't go in any where for respite so I just rely on carers calling. In ...
Hi Heather, it's Joan here. Today is the first time I've been on the site for months and my heart goes out to you. Your situation with mum sounds identical to mine! My mum is still at home and i still go every day for about four hours. Just have Tuesday and Fridays off when carers go in twice and i ...