Having cared for my mum for almost two years (she is now temporarily, according to her, in a care home) I would never encourage anyone to do so. We are a strong family, thank goodness, but we struggled and argued and fumed far more while mum was here than ever before. The stress told however and my ...
Hi Elaine I did both POAs myself and got them through first time with no corrections much to my amazement. It was so expensive to get them done professionally that I figured even with revisions I'd still be quids in. I printed them off twice, filled one in in pencil, double checked everything and th...
Hi Eira, There needs to be an NHS Continuing Healthcare Assessment (CHC) done before your partner is even considered for discharge. If I remember correctly this is a requirement and it is down to the hospital to arrange it. You should also get social services to do a needs assessment because 40 step...
Hi Dawn, I am so sorry that it has all exploded like this. Expect ss to try and dissuade you; they have low budget margins to protect but you have to stand your corner. Hopefully once someone else takes over you and your mum can talk like you used to but if not then carve out a life for you that sat...
Hi Pura,
Do you have power of attorney for mum? If you have the health one you can get all the information you need from your doctor which should help put your mind at rest or at least help you understand what you are facing.
I hope the scan went well and you can relax a bit now.
Tracy
Hi Dawn, I know how easy it is to read all the advice here and how hard it is to actually follow it but trust me when I say your mum will cope without you at her beck and call. Of course she won't let strangers in, she has you and knows how to press your buttons. My mum tells anyone in a position to...
I am trying to work out if my mum can afford to move permanently into a care home and need some help and advice in plain English. Mum, who is 87, has vascular dementia and has been living with me for almost two years. She has gradually been getting worse and is now almost bed-ridden saying she has n...
Hi Tracy, How are you doing, and is your husband OK? Hope you are still managing to get some rest and time to yourself. Found out yesterday mum's dementia is at the moderate to severe stage. They will review her in 6 months, that's seems too long to me. I will get her seen earlier if I feel she nee...
Hi Jody,
This website was recommended to me, you may have seen it already but if not I hope it helps.
http://caretobedifferent.co.uk
Tracy
Thank you Jenny, It does help. My husband is a workaholic too, he works nights and then is all things to all people when he gets home. He is my rock and I've never truly realised how much we expected from him until now. He has been signed off for three months and will be a new man by the time he goe...