Hi Sue, I looked on the Age UK website which says the following but is written from the point of view of the person who is named, so in our cases the caree rather than the carer. LPA for financial decisions This can be used while someone still has mental capacity or you can state in your LPA applica...
Hi Soraya I would suggest finding out if there is a local daycare service for your mum. My mum has vascular dementia and attends a daycare centre twice a week, it is a godsend. Social services suggested a few and we visited them and chose the one we liked best. It isn't cheap and as mum is self fund...
Hi Pet,
Thank you, I will get on the phone Monday and check online now.
Tracy
Hi Kim I am also caring for my 88 year old mum who has vascular dementia, she is also profoundly deaf and as stubborn as a mule! I don't enjoy caring, find it very stressful and extremely difficult at times; I often feel I am right at the end of my rope. Have you looked into day care? I arranged it ...
Hi all My husband has been looking into the possibility of applying for a blue badge for when we are taking my mum out. She is getting increasingly frail and walking is slow and meandering. Mum is profoundly deaf and suffering from vascular dementia but my husband is having a problem finding out any...
I agree, far too much of a busman's holiday for me!
Hi Helena You can download all the forms for both the financial and health powers of attorney online, fill them in yourself and then get your dad to sign them which is much cheaper than getting a solicitor to do it for you. If he has already mentioned this then maybe he will go along with it. It is ...
Yvette You absolutely cannot carry on like this. If nothing else you can't guarantee your or her safety. You need to get onto social services and tell them you can no longer care for your mum and the doctor to get her reassessed as a matter of urgency. Please don't feel scared that 'if social servic...
Hi Moz, I feel for you and would definitely say counselling would be a good idea. Just a thought but is there a careers group in your area? Ours has coffee mornings for carers and carees where there are others to talk to who understand where you are coming from. Could you try your doctor for a couns...
Hi Pura, I don't think your being selfish at all but I do think you need at least a day to yourself each week if not more. Caring is hard work and it's all too easy to become an extension of the person we are looking after rather than an individual in our own right. Are there any respite care clubs ...