Thanks BB, Im really excited. Ive got care packages increased, got my funding organised, got the right benefits approved and also help with travel costs. I know Ive only been caring for three years but Im looking forward to taking a bit of a step back, feel like Im getting some of my life back!
Hi John I am returning to college myself, hopefully starting in Sep. I want to do an undergraduate degree, but need to do an Access course first as my a levels are not great and nearly twenty years old. To fund my course fees I have applied for a 24+ advanced learning loan. This is a govt. provided ...
I sympathise with JN. Communication is indeed vital.

I am in no position to help JN though, as I am a carer for my mum and not JN's nurse. Good luck anyway, hope he gets his voice back soon.
Hi Gavin, I havent had ECT but I worked as a nurse and used to take people for ECT and monitor them in recovery. The patients I took did not remember the procedure or recovery -it's performed under general anaesthetic so for that day your wife will be confused. Don't be alarmed, this is normal and s...
Have you sent the ESA forms off already? Has your husband been declared fit for work? Ie is ESA the most appropriate benefit or would sick pay be more appropriate for him? Ask for a discharge summary from PICU to your new GP and a referral to your local community mental health team-it's not good tha...
Hi Sylvia. To cut a long story short, mam had non-Hodgkins lymphoma in her brain, during chemo she developed encephalitis (which nearly killed her) causing several small strokes and seizures. She's thankfully recovered and cancer in remission, although physically disabled with mild cognitive impairm...
Sedation is a common side effect of mirtazepine, also increased appetite so it's routinely given to people who are depressed and have noticed reduction in appetite and problems sleeping. The effects can go in some people, also strangely as the dose is increased the sleepiness can wear off, a biochem...
Hi Caz, My mum had primary cns non-Hodgkins lymphoma, in remission since Oct 2012 but disabled from either her treatment or some subsequent cerebellar syndrome. I'm sorry your husband has a chronic illness. Would/could you have home care specifically for domestic tasks? I see that infection control ...
I'm not too sure, I think you should get some advice from Mind or Alzheimer's society. Or both. Are they wanting to discharge her from the unit, or discharge her from section 117? Or both? If your mum is discharged from 117, then she no longer qualifies for free funding. (I appreciate this is the le...
I was born in July of 1979 so in the 70s I just had formula!