Dear SW - yes, the endless worrying is extremely wearing. I think the trouble is we take on such, such responsibility, for those who, at this stage in their lives, are abandoning responsibility for themselves. We seem to have this terrible 'obligation' on us to 'make them happy' - I wonder if it's s...
How horribly, horribly disappointing and frustrating for you. I agree with the others saying that it would be an excellent idea to let your local paper know what has happened. The driver's behaviour sounds totally unacceptable. You may also find, if it gets in the local paper, that other people will...
Oh, Worrywort, my MIL seems angelic in comparison! It sounds like you are doing more, more than enough for her, and, my own personal opinion is that if you have organised things for her like the physio and hairdresser, and she doesn't want them, then so be it. You are seeing her every other day, and...
My BIL had a triple bypass, and I would say it's taken him about two and a half years to feel really 'right' again. He went through a stage where he was frightened to do 'anything' in case if triggered another heart attack. Two and a half years on he's looking much, much better. He doesn't drink now...
SW, in that latter instance, where a son/daughter cares for parents to keep them out of a carehome, then loses the family house to pay for the carehome when it does become necessary, maybe anyone who decides to move into the parental home to care for dependent parents should only do so if the parent...
Anne, yes, that is the hideous 'logic' of dementia - that as we subside into it, we simply don't realise that that is happening. I can remember learning, decades ago, that Virginia Woolf who suffered from depression (she was abused, I believe, by her stepbrother as a child, which may have headed her...
Dear SW - that was more or less what I found when I checked out sheltered accommodation (ie, non-Abbeyfield), that first you had to BUY the flat, then you had extra maintenance costs, and then you had extra extra carers costs. And if they didn't like it or couldn't cope, then, yes, you had to sell u...
Dear SW - I'm glad to here your father seems to have settled down to a good degree in his Home, and that his physical health has improved, and he is therefore far more off your 'worry list' now, which must be a huge relief to you. Moving on to your mother though, the situation does not sound easy in...
Thank you again for your replies - much appreciated as ever. Yes, I think what I have to keep bearing in mind is that however my MIL ages, she is not going to 'improve' on any measure at all. The best is going to be 'holding steady', which is, after all, unlikely. When I look back t how she was a ye...
Yes, it is definitely a good idea, but..... (I hate to shoot it down, and maybe I'm being stupid to do so)....but....I think bottom line is she doesn't want 'someone else' to take her out, she wants ME. As I say, I may be stupid in that respect, because there has been a general outing from the Abbey...