Maz, both my SIL, and her sister, went on Prozac when they had to look after their mum as she developed dementia. I'm not sure at what stage (she basically died of dementia after several years). I know perfectly well that my SIL, at least, could never, ever have got through it. She took it extremely...
Starfish, thank you - and Eun too. As ever, in comparison with the emotional agony of having a child in need of any kind of care, 'elder-care' pales into insignificance. And, as ever, it seems to ram home the dreadful 'unfairness' of life in general - that my MIL is 'hale and hearty' in her body, af...
Henrietta - that's what I've jokingly said to her current care home manager - that I bet she stops wandering the minute she's in the new place! Hey ho! Ah well, things are as they are, and I'm gradually getting used to the coming change. Many thanks re the 'tower of strength' comment - I suspect the...
I do think that having massages is one of life's great luxuries! I've always fancied that Japanese one where they walk up and down your back! (Well, maybe !)

Glad you found a way to avoid having to trek to an expensive spa!
Greta - thank you - yes, I'm incredibly grateful she'll be as close as she is, with a 'known home' - she might have had to move miles away, and into a completely strange home. Maz - re the locks, I've had this conversation with them, and because it's a small, privately run home, to have a new electr...
Pet - just wanted to say to you that I'm sorry if I sounded tactless in my 'why is my husband dead in his fifties and his 92 y/o mum stuck with dementia', given what you are going through with your poor husband. Which of our husbands' fates is the 'less worse' I don't know, but neither is a good one...
Thank you all for such a kind response! Really cheered me up. I know it's a cliché about a problem shared, but it's true. It's because I know you all know where I'm coming from - our shoes may be in different colours, but they are all the same ill fitting ones that pinch!!!!! I was, indeed, somewhat...
Yes, hi and welcome. All of us here on the forum have arrived here 'in need', and often it takes a crisis in our care situation to make us search for an online 'support system'. We have a variety of caree situations. Some of us have (or have had) elderly parents, some with physical infirmities, and,...
Just got a phone call from MIL's care home - she's being expelled. It's been in the offing for some time, as she's 'wandering' and they are not a secure home. I'd hoped and hoped it would 'settle down' or 'be manageable' but it's suddenly come to a head. She's escalated her 'escape' behaviour - and ...
I think low thyroid (hypothyroidism)(Graves syndrome?) is one of the things that middle aged women get checked out for, but I suspect that thyroid problems are less 'anticipated' in younger people. Even when they are checked for, as SD says, each person's level is 'unique' to them, so what is normal...