I do think he's had his 'fair share' of your time and attention. The trouble with MH is that those with it can become total 'vampires', sucking the life blood out of everyone else. Like drowning men, they cling to their rescuers and drown them too. It's a monster, MH, that swallows up not just the p...
Barbara, I've posted elsewhere to you on Rob's thread, but I think the time has come for your MIL to move into a care home. Dementia only worsens and worsens. My poor MIL (in a care home for three years) now sits in a wheelchair all day, she is immobile (her brain has forgetten how to walk) ,and she...
""Believe me, this is a bad idea. We moved my husband's mother in with us, and it almost wrecked our marriage. In your circumstances the financial side of it would bankrupt you, but the emotional stress would be intolerable. My MIL was the mildest person you could imagine until she moved in with us....
Faye - hi. Is your dad living in his own home still, with carers coming in to look after him? Do you live nearby, and do you go in and look after him as well as the carers. Will the cut in care package mean you have to do more caring to make up for what they don't now? My point is this - remember, n...
Henrietta - I rather thought that was your 'bone'! My take is to suggest getting in touch with a programme like You and Yours. Telling them (in writing) your story. They do regular programmes on the cost of care, etc, and case studies such as yours are always good (journos love case stories!). Ditto...
Paul, even if you found the (mythical!) £15 a night hotel, he'd still moan. He'd just moan about something else. You have to understand he WANTS TO MOAN. It makes him feel good. Let him. (Just don't pay any attention, that's all!)
Can you tell him the taxman will take half of it after his death if he doesn't spent it now? I do feel for you and your frustration - my MIL is now spending a hundred pounds a day to sit in a wheelchair and stare vacantly into the room, not speaking, not standing, and doubly-incontinent. I burn with...
Well, I expect our own generation will be encouraged to drink out 'happy cocoa' every night, to send us into a deep deep stupor. Possibly for ever. At least it's a cheap option.... (and think of that inheritance tax windfall for the government as we all peg out en masse!) Win win for the government....
Saddest of all to my mind is that this issue wasn't addressed right from the off, once he'd grown up, as in, left his home. It's been festering all his life. Maybe every 20 year old should have a mandatory psychiatric appointment to identify any childhood traumas that the young adult is about to car...
Depressing article on the BBC news website this morning - of the total spend by all UK councils of £44 bn, over £15 bn is spent on adult care. That's an entire third of their revenues. Everything else DWARFS in comparison. There just HAS to be a 'cheaper way' - and not just by refusing to fork out a...