Just a quick thought, but I don't see why you couldn't open a PRIVATE pension for yourself. This would be 'extra' for anything your workplace pension also provided, and could be very, very small - more like a long-term savings account in fact. You could then put the sum that represents the overpayme...
Yes, if they discharge her without a care package in place it's an 'Unsafe Discharge'.

Stick to your guns! You're getting there!
Pet - brilliant point!
Just to clarify, if your father is in residential care, then that is either self-funded, or paid by the Local Authority (Council) not by the NHS. The NHS only pay if the resident needs a LOT of nursing care. Often the NHS pay for the nursing care element of the fees, and the LA or the resident thems...
Diane, that is a brave and generous warning. I hope Sarah heeds it. It's one thing to start caring, but you MUST take on board EVERYTHING that it will entail. Yours, Diane, is a particularly harrowing example, and your mother is a truly deeply horrible person. But even when the caree is a lovely per...
Diane, does your mother have the key to her house in her handbag at hospital? If she doesn't, DO NOT provide it. If she does, please, please do NOT be in the house when she arrives. Go to a café, or a pub, or McDonalds, or the library if it's still open - it really doesn't matter where, but do not b...
A very very brief reply for now.... Firstly, GREAT you are seeing a counsellor - just what you need. Second, is there any forum for wives/partners of those who are involved with Help for Heroes or any other ex-servicemen's charities/support groups? Because you may, sadly, find your situation is not ...
Sadly, it might be. The problem with dementia and mobility is that even if the person can still retain the physical strength to stand up and walk, their poor brains lose the ability to know HOW to do that. This has now happened to my MIL with advanced dementia. On some 'good' days, she can still sta...
Sarah, sorry if my first post sounded 'mercenary' - ie, just about inheritance and so on!. But it really is a vital decision to make, if there is any 'inheritance' involved, as decisions now will very very materially affect you for possibly the rest of your life! The point about starting with the mo...
I agree with NHSh - Also, bear in mind that a lot of these voluntary orgnaisations are run by, or take on, horrible 'Jobsworth' types who, quite frankly, are far too bossy and martinet actuatly to be employable in a real job (ie, no one would pay them money!), and they do tend to gravitate towards v...