Then his hour has come, Carol, and he is at peace finally - his long painful fight over. Let us hope and pray that the long lost wife he called for has welcomed him home........ And that both of them are praising your husband and you fort he care you gave him on his journey there..... Kindest wishes...
Mariella, hi again - I was wondering whether the mods would unite this post with your others, but they don't seem to have. Definitely 'newbies' gets the biggest traffic, but it can be a bit confiusing, first off, where best to post. By and large most of us just stick to Newbies and All About caring ...
Remember to keep your mum warm while she is waiting to be lifted. Put a blanket over her, and maybe a hot water bottle at this time of year? A pillow/cushion under her head (IF she can move her head/neck without pain). Warm socks, gloves? Watch out for her maybe going into shock, as that can be pote...
If it's clear that your mum hasn't injured herself in the fall, ie, that she isn't in pain, and can move all her limbs without pain etc, then MAYBE, providing she is mobile enough when not fallen (!), she could roll forward, to get on to her knees, and then, if you put a FIRM chair in front of her, ...
This is a desperately sad situation, for your husband, for you - for what is happening to him, and to your marriage. I'm honestly not sure what best to advise, because MND is such a terrifying disease - it would test the courage of anyone to have such a diagnosis, but if your husband has depression ...
Lorraine, welcome - that's a very, very stressful situation already, and likely to get worse as your own parents age further, and probably need more care as well. I'm not the person to give any useful intel on caring for someone with that level of mental illness, but there are forum members who know...
Angela, the post above was the 'darkest' side of things. Before your mum gets anywhere near that stage, if she lasts that long at all, DO, despite all the daily frustrations, make the MOST of her now, with what faculties she has. I now look back to my MIL when she was able to enjoy watching Morecomb...
Angela, it's really important to 'think ahead' in terms of finances. The reason is this. If your mum has over that £23,500 threshold of total assets (ie, the value of her house/flat if she owns it, and any savings and income) she will have to pay the ENTIRE cost of any residential care she receives ...
Slightly by the by, but in the same vein - a friend of mine caring for her father with dementia, at home, tells me he routinely wakes at 6-ish, and gets up. She HAS to get up, as he has a catheter, and the day bag HAS to be attached (or he'll trail round with it dripping). So, she gets up, gets the ...
Linda, that's really useful, thank you! Very encouraging. I shall definitely check that out. I'd not heard of it before. What I want most for MIL is a good 'service' not expensive trappings. That said, it really isn't my personal call, as I'm not next of kin. I must consult my BIL and son. But I don...