Hello Have you considered setting up your own business? Something along the lines of companion, helper, casual Granny sitter? There must be many people who would pay for someone with your qualifications and experience to perhaps keep Granddad company three mornings a week, take Granny to the shops e...
Hi Sarah, It does sound as if you have come to the end of your tether! Yes, you need to instigate a big change. There is no reason why you can be forced to look after your Gran, you are a very special person to have done so for so long. However there comes a time when even the most dedicated of care...
Hello Ruth and Welcome to the forum, You are tottering on the edge of a cliff aren’t you? The problem is the eventual fall is inevitable and it’s a long way down. Sooner or later one of you (I include you) is going to be so ill that the whole family will be in crisis. I’m sorry to hear that your sib...
Hi WorriedDD, Your thread has reminded me of something in my own medical history. Many years ago, I was given some medication which played havoc with my ability to eat. Everything tasted and smelt horrible. I couldn’t face even the mildest and non aromatic food even though I was hungry. Changed the ...
Hi Jane, What I would have done when looking after my own Mum is call the company and ask them to explain in more detail. Have you noticed anything yourself when Mum is eating when you are present, apart from lack of appetite? I would ask them for their suggestions as to how they think they should h...
Eucalyptus oil is another to add to the Olbas and Vicks list. All available over the counter at the chemist's.
KR
E.
Hi David, I know how you feel. Been there, bought the biscuits! First of all you, yourself, have to accept that Mum is never going home again. This isn't because you have done anything 'wrong' but because she cannot possibly manage any longer. Secondly accept that Mum is never going to be 'herself' ...
Hi Denise My mum 'lost' her engagement ring, her ruby 40th wedding anniversary ring, a gold cross and chain and other favourite jewellery. Never found. We had a lot of carers in and out but as neither Mum nor I could remember when she last wore the items of where she she'd put them it was difficult....
Hi Trigpoint and welcome A family member, just a couple of years younger, has MS and sounds like the same sort of thing, painful pins and needle, migranes etc. The diagnosis was about 20 years ago and they still hold down a full time job and enjoy a pretty normal life with some limitations. One thin...
Hi Donna and Welcome, There are carers for all ages, many different problems and a very varied experience on here. I haven't been in your situation as my care experience is with a very elderly Mum and I am now an ex carer. So apart from 'Hello' I can't help, but there will be others along soon who u...