Hi David, It sounds like you have plenty of time to complete the actual move, which is great because doing it all in one day while anxiously waiting for the ‘go ahead’ signal is very stressful and you are avoiding that. That’s a positive to go on the list of good things. Do not try to get your new f...
Hi Katrina, I went through a very similar situation in 2007 except my mum hadn’t had any falls and was still able to cope with help, aged 90. However her home was unsuitable and she was finding life more and more difficult. We discussed whether she would prefer to move into a Home where she lived or...
Hi Guy, My Mum was a large lady and she had difficulty with her commode as she couldn't put her feet flat on the floor and the seat cut into her. After trawling the internet, where there are many available, I contacted the Occupational Therapist and she arranged for a company to come and measure in ...
Hi Michael and welcome, I looked after my parents, long distance, for many years but after the death of my dad, Mum moved to a bungalow very close to my home. She was 90 and died just 11 days short of her 100th birthday. That’s a long haul and could possibly be ahead of you too. Lots of information,...
Hello and welcome, It depends a lot on how you and the family are feeling. Have you ‘had enough’, got to the ‘end of the road’, (as we all do, sooner or later)? Is it just the continence problem or has Mum gone beyond your ability to cope without drastic detriment to your own health and well being? ...
Hi Chris and welcome, I must admit I had to google that one, please forgive my ignorance. From a very quick read of a site I picked up that depending on the particular variety of EDS, there are methods of coping and life strategies. How is your partner managing the condition and what are you, as the...
Hi Chrissie, How old is Gran? I’m wondering how many years you are likely to be ‘the one who does things’ as she gets more and more needy and demanding. (As most elderly people do). She was obviously hoping that the tests would show something that could be ‘fixed’ and she would be fit and well again...
Hi again, At 33 you have loads of good and happy life left to you, you just have to get through this. Afterwards you can rebuild your life, find new friends, new activities and will feel so much better. Does Gran own her house? If so, when Gran passes away those adult children might get everything o...
Hello Have you considered setting up your own business? Something along the lines of companion, helper, casual Granny sitter? There must be many people who would pay for someone with your qualifications and experience to perhaps keep Granddad company three mornings a week, take Granny to the shops e...
Hi Sarah, It does sound as if you have come to the end of your tether! Yes, you need to instigate a big change. There is no reason why you can be forced to look after your Gran, you are a very special person to have done so for so long. However there comes a time when even the most dedicated of care...