Hi Henrietta, No experience with ‘Memory Cafes’ and very little with dementia, Sorry. A few ideas. May be useless. My Mum used to do jigsaws. The size of them both diminished and grew as she got older. From 1000 down to 250 pieces and the size of each piece bigger and thicker. She stopped when her s...
Hi Peter, I’m not quite clear. Are you saying Mum doesn’t go to bed till 3 to 5am or doesn’t get up till 3 to 5 pm? Sounds like her sleep patterns are all out of kilter, but that’s normal for her? Are you ruled by these times, in that your sleep pattern is subject to hers or are you saying that you ...
You can have an assessment in your own right as a carer, regardless of whether we know about the person(s) you care for. https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/carer-assessment Quote is from the above site. They make all the right noises on this page You cannot be refused a carer's assessment. Have a read t...
Hi Tessa When you say that Mum owns the annex, do you mean that she just paid for it to be built or did you involve a solicitor? Who owns the land underneath the annex? Is it part of your estate (house and garden) or did mum buy that too? If you still own the land then you are her landlord and she s...
Hi Tessa When you say that Mum owns the annex, do you mean that she just paid for it to be built or did you involve a solicitor? Who owns the land underneath the annex? Is it part of your estate (house and garden) or did mum buy that too? If you still own the land then you are her landlord and she s...
Hi Cathy and welcome to the forum. These ‘little problems’ are like snowflakes. One or two at a time are pretty/petty but when they arrive in a storm you find yourself snowed under and dying of exposure! Being a former nurse has both advantages and disadvantages I guess. Bad because you are expected...
Hi Kaye and welcome to the forum. So sorry that you find yourself in this situation and I’m surprised that you haven’t collapsed into a puddle of melting jelly long before now. You most certainly cannot carry on in this way and desperately need help. You say that I would honestly like to run away bu...
Hi Zee, STOP! You have no idea what you are getting into. There are so many pitfalls, financial implications, hazzards and so on and that is before the exhausting, 24/7 full on nursing/caring/physical work comes into it. You are to be commended for wanting to take care of your grandparents. It's a w...
Hi Ann, My Mum also used sudocrem for years and years and it always did the trick then it was suddenly frowned upon and I was told not to use it. Something about it being drying, She used to have 'break outs' of sores under her breasts, under her tummy and in her groin. She was a large lady. I was a...
Hi Ruth, Forgive me if I’ve got this all wrong. I know nothing about family meetings. Am I correct in thinking that you are hoping members of the family will turn up to a meeting with someone ‘official’ (SS) who will remind them of their ‘duty’ towards your father and explain that their input is nee...