No Anne, Your relative does not have any obligation to even try to look after his mum any longer. This is for both their sakes. His because he's exhausted already and hers because she now needs a team of people to look after her. A task beyond any one carer. Your relative should be proud of the care...
Hi Nigel, Welcome. Difficult for people here to make suggestions without a few more details - such as ages, your partner's illness/problems and so on. One thing I can suggest is that if your partner will not accept any outside help, that doesn't apply to you. You can ask for a Carer's assessment fro...
Hi DuckyD and welcome to the forum, Please bear in mind when reading your replies that no-one know you or shares your exact circumstances or emotions. We try to help, not upset. My immediate thoughts were, you have heard of bright, healthy and energetic people who take a walk along the sands at low ...
Hi Toni, Having not been in your exact situation and responding only to what I have read and understand from your posts I will venture to give you my thoughts. I will make incorrect assumptions no doubt. Please forgive me. Forget your aunt. We often tell carers that they do not have to care, legally...
Hi again Mary, Good, re ambulance. How has that panned out? Re your new determination. A step forward- well done you! Adult child? I’m no therapist and I may well be wrong but to me that sounds like you are still ‘Mummy’s little helper’ and ‘Daddy’s best girl’, even though you are a grown woman who ...
Hi Mary, I don’t know you or the full picture of your situation so if anything I say upsets you, forgive me. Not my intention. Reading through your posts it occurs to me that this very sad situation is all about choice Your father, it seems, has chosen, all your life, to be utterly selfish, stubborn...
Hello Wendy and welcome, I, too was an only child and was in a very similar situation to you. The differences being that my Mum didn’t live with me but 5 mins drive away and was always very accepting of anything that made life easier for her and me. Eventually the occupational therapist, continence ...
Hi Jemma, I too am 70 this year. My daughter and family live 5 mins away from me and I very, very, rarely 'pop in' on her. I always text or phone and ask whether it's convenient. They, on the other hand often call on me unexpectedly. I've always taken the view that my home, which was hers growing up...
Hi Selina, My Mum had 3 different Care Companies. One was magic and Mum came to regard many of the ‘girls’ as almost extra daughters, one was not good and the third was OK but all the carers were not good English speakers and Mum couldn’t understand what they were saying. I think on the whole they w...
Hi Barbara, Spotted your post just before I log off so a quick 'welcome to the forum'. Tell us a little more, for example what age group are you in? It's great that you support each other but do you get any breaks, either together or briefly apart from each other? Are friends and/or family in touch ...