Hi Alan, Welcome. So sorry to hear that your wife is suffering from this awful disease at such a young age. I have very little experience because my mother was very old and at the end of her life when she began to have ‘strange’ ideas and it did upset me at first. Many people on her are much more kn...
Hi Irene, What’s the Home manager like? Would there be any mileage in explaining your concerns to them and seeing if it would be possible to move your husband to another wing or perhaps even to take him to a different ‘lounge area’ where there might be people he could talk to? I understand his frust...
Hi Stephen, Is it just you looking after Mum? Have you got any other help in the way of carers etc? How do you feel about giving up full time work and are you confident that you could return when Mum is no longer with you. Will you want to/need to? If my questions are intrusive or of no importance a...
Do I have to give my financial details? You don't have to provide any details of your income or savings but if you don't provide all the information required, you will not qualify for any financial assistance and you will have to pay the full cost of your care up to a maximum weekly limit of £453.0...
Hi Mrs A and Monica When my mum moved from Pembrokeshire, after my dad’s death, to a bungalow near to my house in 2007 she already had higher rate AA and a Blue Badge. These had been sorted for her by Age UK back home. She had been using her AA (and my dad’s) to pay for a cleaner, gardener and some ...
Hi Wayne, So why exactly are you doing this? For your wife because she loves her step dad? Because MIL would have wanted you to? Because you both feel ‘responsible’ and feel you must? If I said change your telephone number and never see him again, how does that make you feel? That’s not for you to a...
Hi Gwenda, Welcome from me too and sorry to hear about your husband. Scary times but beware the ‘knee jerk‘ reaction. So many carers have given up work to care for a spouse, parent, sibling etc and have bitterly regretted that decision when their world has shrunk to constant caring, friends fallen a...
Hi Fluffy I was so lucky. My Mum, who died just before her 100th birthday was loving, accepting, appreciative and loved by all her carers. I still found looking after her exhausting, frustrating, time consuming and as an only child too ‘on my shoulders’ just like you. Have you any hair left? I would...
PS If you are really sure there's too much money in his name to qualify for any SS payment, you don't have to have a financial assessment. My Mum didn't but still got contributions over the cap set at the time.
Hi Monica Have you downloaded the PDF from LEEDS.gov https://www.leeds.gov.uk/docs/Help%20to%20pay%20your%20non-residential%20social%20care%20and%20support%20costs.pdf Please be aware, one very important sentence in here is From April 2019, no one has to pay more than £453.00 per week no matter how ...