Thanks, everyone, for taking the time to comment. I did a little more research online into this subject yesterday evening - and what I found chilled me to the core (despite the heat!). It seems that thousands and thousands of DNRs are placed in the files of the elderly, both in care homes and hospit...

DNR

Hi … Will try and keep this brief, but would appreciate any thoughts/advice on the following. Mum is 93, full mental capacity but with rapidly decreasing mobility and general frailty, and has been resident in a local care home for the past five years. After she had been in the care home for about a ...
Well, I don't think my mum has had a shower in all of the four years that she's been in residential care - not for lack of persuasion by the care staff and the fact that she moved to a better room with an ensuite wetroom. When I asked her recently why she wouldn't let the staff help her, she replied...
Susan, I'm actually quite shocked that your mother has to use her weekly "pocket money" to pay for transport to medical appointments. My own mother (self-funding in a care home) has attended hospital outpatients about four times in the last three weeks. If she had been paying out of a c£25.00, then ...
Do you think that there is any chance that your mum might qualify for NHS Continuing Healthcare (in which case her care home fees would be paid by the NHS)? Did anyone mention this to you?

Full details here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/healthcare/
Make an appointment at your local AgeUK office - they will walk you through the form and know the "right" terminology to use. Make a couple of copies of the form - fill one in as best you can in draft form (and take it with you) and then use the second to record their suggestions. You can then combi...
Don't panic and don't pay anything until you've checked out the above links and also had a good look at the care home contract. This should mention any care fee reviews (usually annually). Don't forget that any monies owed will be by your father and not you. If this oversight is down to the care hom...
This is the relevant information - taken from AgeUK's Factsheet No. 39 "Paying for Care in a Care Home if you have a Partner" (third time I've posted this since Christmas - obviously not easy to find!). 5 The 50% private pension and annuity disregard You may have a significantly higher or lower inco...
Having had a quick look at the relevant AgeUK Factsheet, it would seem that your house is "safe" on two counts. Firstly, you live there and, secondly, it's not possible to sell one-third of a property. The house should therefore be disregarded. However, this disregard only applies to this property -...
This is from AgeUK's Factsheet 39 "Paying for Care in a Care Home if you have a Partner". (I posted it just after Christmas on another thread - looks like it's relevant here too!) 5 The 50% private pension and annuity disregard You may have a significantly higher or lower income than your partner. T...